This Page

has been moved to new address

Teach your dog to do "his business" on command!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Teach your dog to do "his business" on command!

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Teach your dog to do "his business" on command!


Did you know you can teach your dog how to do his "thing" on command? This especially comes in handy when you are in a hurry or freezing your buns off this winter and want to get back indoors. Let me warn you that this exercise is boring and uneventful but the rewards will be priceless as your neighbors watch you tell your dog to do his business and he immediately does and you move along to the next activity!

This is easiest to teach a puppy, but it works with an adult dog too (it just takes longer). When you take your puppy outside to the "designated business area", keep repeating "do your business"...yes, over and over again. Do this EVERY TIME you take him outside...it takes a few weeks of this repetition before you notice that he is actually doing it because you told him to!

With an adult dog, repeat "do your business" as he is squatting and doing his thing. After about a month of this, say "do your business" BEFORE he squats. If he follows along, then you know he's learned it. If not, then he is a little show (which is okay) but means you have to go back to the beginning. Be patient.

My dog is now four years old and does it when he is told. If you want them to do both duties, repeat it again after the first squat and they'll keep squatting as long as you say "do your business". Always follow up with "good dog" and make a fuss over them...now if I could only teach my cat to use the toilet...

Photo by (c) FreeFoto.com

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really interesting.. thanks for the advice... thinking of getting a pet for my little one...

Now if only this worked for potty training a toddler... that would be amazing..lol

October 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I inadvertantly trained our dog Max to go on command. I noticed that he would go if I said, "Let's go see Daddy." Max learned that when I said this, it was time to head home and he had better do his business.

My husband is a little perturbed by this since it seems that adding the "Daddy" to the command makes the difference. I told him that he was welcome to use "Mommy" as a substitute when he takes him out. The end result is the same even it I just take Max out back instead of a long walk.

Love your Blog!

February 28, 2011 at 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home