This Page

has been moved to new address

Housework doesn't always equal drudgery!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Housework doesn't always equal drudgery!

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Housework doesn't always equal drudgery!

We all have to do it....HOUSEWORK. Housework and cleaning used to be two of my most dreaded things to do around here. I used to try to do everything in one day, and then announce to anyone who might be listening, that the housework was done. Well, after that drudgery for a few years, I finally got smart and realized that housework was not a job that gets done and that's it...it's an ongoing MAINTENANCE activity and once I approached it as such, I realized it would be so much easier and stress free, and I wouldn't waste a whole day cleaning and running around the house like some deranged maniac!

So, I came up with a schedule...we manage our jobs as a schedule...why not housework? I sat down and wrote down each individual task, such as cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, dusting and the like. I wanted to get an idea of exactly what needed to get done every week.

Once you identify those individual tasks, write up a weekly schedule. Mine ended up looking like this:

  • Monday: Clean bathrooms/Check pool filters and chemicals
  • Tuesday: Update finances on computer/Sort through paperwork and files
  • Wednesday: Vacuum/Dust/Put out trash
  • Thursday: Mop/Clean kitchen counters
  • Friday: Tidy up garage/Sweep entryway
  • Saturday: Mow lawn and weed (can interchange with Friday if you have things planned today)
  • Sunday: No work (or if you didn't get something done during the week, do it this day)
I also then write up a monthly schedule, bi-monthly, every other month, seasonal and yearly to cover everything else such as changing furnace filters, tidying up the basement, dusting ceiling fans, cleaning out the refrigerator and other activities that don't need to be done every week. Thank God, right?

As far as laundry, the best way to handle that is to do laundry every few days. That way you are not wasting hours of your time doing 20 loads of laundry on the weekends! For a family of four, I do laundry every three days. When the kids and our laundry hampers are half-full, I have the kids bring it down and sort the laundry into light and dark (we have another two bins right by the washer). This is my signal to start washing.

I also don't like to have a specific day for grocery shopping. I do buy a lot of my staples in bulk, such as pasta and rice, as well as all of our paper and cleaning products. That really cuts down on the weekly purchases and stuff you put in your cart, plus it saves you money.

As you can see, you can really cut down on the stress level when it comes to housework. It is as much a MENTAL exercise as it is a physical one...get it in your mind that housework is just a day to day thing that takes only a few minutes a day.....okay, it does depend on what you are doing (mowing the lawn takes me two hours!)...but the point I am trying to make is that if you follow this system, you will suddenly see your everyday household stress melt away! Let me know how it works out, and if you have any other ideas to share, let's hear em!

This article and others like it can be found at the "Carnival of Family Life" Edition posted on "An Island Life" Blog.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really mow the lawn once a week? Your yard must be gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing this with the Carnival of Family Life. Your post will be included in the July 30th edition at An Island Life.

July 28, 2007 at 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to try again..
I tried having certain days to certain things but things always came up.......mostly appointments.

I did like the routine of knowing what came on what day.

The one that always worked was to strip the bed and do the bedrooms as my little helpers loved to do this chore with me. I think it was all the fun they had rolling around with sheets and throwing them in the hamper.

July 30, 2007 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Believe it or not, we are in Florida and sometimes in the summers, you may have to mow more than once a week! The lawns get so thick here (if you have a good lawn service..a necessity with all the bugs and weeds we have around here)! St Augustine grass can get SO thick, that you actually feel like you are walking through two layers of shag carpeting and frequently trip as you go along!

Kudos on getting the little ones to help! I didn't even touch on that this time around...but it's important!

July 31, 2007 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice! I'm always looking for tips to streamline my routines and make them more efficient, so thanks for sharing yours!

July 31, 2007 at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home