This Page

has been moved to new address

Top 5 Uses for Google

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Top 5 Uses for Google

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Top 5 Uses for Google

I just realized I use Google for one thing or another every day! Have you ever thought to use Google for the uses below?

I would say, other than the basic searches, when you are looking for information or websites on one thing or another, google this:

  • Google yourself. You'd be amazed what comes up. Yet another reason to NEVER and I mean NEVER use your real name online! It is really okay to use a screen name or some variation of your name or a different name altogether. If your name is so common and millions of pages come up or more than you can wade through, put in some other kind of identifying information such as your city, school or professional/job information.
  • Google your address. Do you know I googled a friend's address a few years ago, and we found a newspaper article detailing a serious crime that was committed at her house! This may be information you don't want to know, but it falls under something you should know.
  • Google any item you plan to buy over $50...or over a dollar amount you decide ahead of time. With the internet today, it is a crime for you to go to Best Buy or anywhere else and buy something without researching prices and reading some reviews. I google the name of the item and "review". I then go to companion Froogle and see all the sites come up listing the item for sale. I rank order the list by price, page forward through the accessories and get to the item itself. Be sure to read my article on Cycle of an Online Deal.
  • Google images if you are needing a photo or picture. If you are looking for a photo for your website or some personal document you are working on (such as your kid's school project), use Google Images to find that perfect picture. I've even been able to find cruise cabin staterooms this way. It's helpful to see a cabin or room before you book it. If you are using the photo for commercial or public use, be sure to follow the copyright laws and ask to use permission.
  • Don't bother with the phonebook or sites with phone listings. Just type in "phonebook:", then last name and the two letter abbreviation for the state. Don't forget the colon. You can also add a city or first name to narrow it down. Use "rphonebook:" for residential and "bphonebook:" for business. Have the phone number and need the name? Typing "phonebook:" xxx-xxx-xxxx should get you the number. The listing even gives you a map of the location.
Are you familiar with some of the Google hacks out there? These are nifty ways to get the information you want, without wading through all that junk! Try 7 Clever Google Tricks to get you started. I also found Google Tricks to be pretty interesting. I have a feeling that's just the tip of iceberg. Do you have any google tricks to share?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home