This Page

has been moved to new address

Sending Christmas Cards This Year Should Not Be a Chore

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Sending Christmas Cards This Year Should Not Be a Chore

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sending Christmas Cards This Year Should Not Be a Chore

Do you buy Christmas cards at retail price or have cards embossed with your family name? Do you send out some generic card with just your signature on the bottom? Do you get started in the weeks before Christmas, or even AFTER the holiday? No wonder Christmas cards = drudgery to you. Here's a better way, and here's why I am already talking about this in November.

This year:

  • Buy Christmas cards AFTER Christmas (remember this for next year)
    • Print out return address stickers on your computer or get ready to use the ones charities regularly send you thru the mail
    • In the months BEFORE Christmas, start labeling the envelopes with the addresses of folks you want to send cards to. Look, I know some of those people are going to move, but would you rather redo a few envelopes for those who moved or sit down when time is tight and address the whole stack?
    • People want to hear what you and your family are up to. They do not want some generic card with nothing personal on it. Ditto on just the signature line. I like to include a simple letter with a few scanned photos at the top in each letter. You don't need any special Christmas stationery. Plain white copy paper will do! One year, I even sent out just this letter in a business envelope. I also have a website. It doesn't change, website address-wise, and every year, I update it with the family goings-ons and new photos. I do this every year around Thanksgiving. Make sure to have a guestbook, so visitors can say hello.
    • Photo cards can be inexpensive. Check Sam's Club or Costco for the cheapest prices I've seen. Last year, I was even able to get a photo card at Sam's, where I could put two photos on the front. It's sometimes hard to get everyone together, so having two spaces for photos really helps.

      What do you do?

    Labels:

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Marine Wife said...

    We usually do a photo card and a letter. Of course, I had a brainwave on something cuter, card-wise, AFTER I'd bought this year's cards. Oh well, next year!

    November 9, 2007 at 12:53 AM  
    Blogger Lemon Stand said...

    I'm pathetic. I never send Christmas Cards. Actually I am also the worst correspondent probably on the face of the earth because it is so daunting to me. If I could find a way of doing this without stressing about time and 'am I missing anyone that I SHOULD be sending this to?' I would. So far, at 42, I still can't do it.

    November 9, 2007 at 3:49 PM  
    Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

    We work with what we have and what we have time for...and if doing the Christmas card thing becomes more of a hassle or stressful event, there are some things you can do. When my list topped 100..and no, I don't have a staff to handle my cards like some rich folks do...I decided to send cards to only immediate family not nearby and old, old friends who I don't see on a regular basis...for everyone else, it was a nice and cheerful email with a link to our Christmas website. I stay in touch with everyone, I get updates from them thru the guestbook and best of all....no stress. Get this started before December and see how much better you can enjoy your holiday!

    November 9, 2007 at 4:10 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    We got away from Christmas cards about two years ago....call me Scrooge but its a lot of work and $!

    To our friends and family we send voice greetings using www.addlivevoice.com and attach the voice clips to e-greeting cards.

    Simple, heart warming and FREE!

    November 28, 2007 at 9:23 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home