This Page

has been moved to new address

The Goods Brought Back from Deployment

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): The Goods Brought Back from Deployment

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Goods Brought Back from Deployment

I just realized I have a collection going. I call it my "brought back from deployment" cache from the many deployments I've endured (yes, endured). What's so funny about that? It's just that, about two dozen of my friends, have almost the exact same things I have. Let me add, that we are also very careful not to bring back any antiquities, weapons or other forbidden stuff (just don't do it; it's not honest and should make you feel bad really).  How much you wanna bet you have some of these same things yourself if your spouse is going where our spouses are going?

Here is my list of treasures:



  • a "real gold" necklace in the shape of a palm tree from Kuwait that broke apart the first time I wore it
  • a sterling silver hand-hammered necklace with a stone I don't recognize and that hangs just low enough to get hidden under my shirt and fall into my cleavage (not on purpose really)
  • a Burkha (am I supposed to wear it or use it as a costume for Halloween?)
  • a prayer rug from Afghanistan (makes a warm spot for my feet getting out of bed)
  • a wooden African elephant with a possible termite living in his butt after repeated piles of wood dust showing up in his rear area (he is no longer with us)
  • a soapstone tiger that looks more like a kitty
  • a handmade chess set (really well done I might add)
  • a real honest-to-goodness handmade Persian rug (one that is actually "real")
  • a wooden collapsible basket with concentric circles (very cool and they make great gift baskets)
  • a wooden heavily engraved door from Timbuktu (they are known there for these things you know)
  • a handmade silver bracelet I truly believe is the only one like it, it is so unusual
  • many colorful silk and pashmina scarves (I LOVE these!)
  • a handmade silver ring with a Chinese stone and a scripture of protection from the Koran written in minute detail on the face of the stone (yes, I needed my neighbor who spoke the language and a magnifying glass to verify this was indeed true!)
I love all my treasures!  Thank-you hubby!  Do you have any favorites that were brought back from a deployment?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home