This Page

has been moved to new address

Your Trash IS Another Person's Treasure!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Your Trash IS Another Person's Treasure!

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Your Trash IS Another Person's Treasure!


You've already heard about donating to Goodwill or other organizations and the ever popular yardsale, but have you heard about freecycle.org? There is someone out there who wants your junk. Across the country, email lists and websites (mostly through Yahoo Groups) have been set up to connect people who want to get rid of their stuff with those who want that stuff. Visit freecycle.org to find the list nearest you. I've used the local list where I am to get rid of all kinds of things that I know will be put to good use. I've also found perfectly good items for my own use to include bookshelves and paving stones!

Now granted, you can't take a tax deduction for things you get rid of on freecycle, but it is a "feel good" thing to do in your own community, and it also saves you from throwing something out in the trash (I always feel guilty when I do that, and it's not environmentally friendly).

If you still decide to donate or take items to Goodwill or another organization, be sure to get a receipt. Most times, they don't write what you donated, so I like to fill that in right after I drop things off. I have a file at home labeled "Tax-deductible", and I throw everything in there that could conceivably be used as a tax deduction when we file our taxes next year.

If you have any more tips, please post them here!

Photo by (c) FreeFoto.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home