This Page

has been moved to new address

Five Minute Proof Your Home & Keep It Secure

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Five Minute Proof Your Home & Keep It Secure

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Five Minute Proof Your Home & Keep It Secure


We just thought about setting up a security system in our new rental home, so of course, I cruised the internet looking at all the overwhelming options out there...and no, I didn't just check out ADT and Brink's, although I made sure to read what they had to offer (don't forget to download their discount coupons). But then, I stumbled upon a security system dealer's website up in Canada and had an "epiphany-like" moment as I read about all the scams and downright incompetence in the home security business! I had no idea!

Please be sure to visit "5 minute proofing" your home. There are some very simple steps you can take to get burglars to bypass your home completely, as well as how to slow them down, should they actually get in your house. There is no such thing as completely burglar proofing a home...even homes with the most elaborate security can be breached...BUT you can make it tough for a burglar so that he won't even bother with you and your home. Be sure to also click on the "home security tips" category and read some of the other great articles on securing your home. This guy, who works for (and I think owns) Provident Security researches break-ins, in his area, and gives tips on how the home owners could have averted the trouble to begin with.

I'd like to add a few more things you might want to think about:

  • If you have a dog, keep it inside; even the peskiest little barker will make most burglars move onto the next house
  • Instead of hiding a key in your yard or under a rock somewhere, leave a copy with a trusted neighbor or friend
  • If you have an alarm code, do not make it a number someone could figure out (a birthday or anniversary) and if you must share your code with someone, give them a secondary code (ask your security company how to do this)
  • Encourage neighbors to look out for neighbors; I would think nothing of stopping and chatting with someone I saw walking around with a ladder, or worse, climbing up on someone's roof
  • Do not leave upstairs windows open when you leave; secure them, even if it's "just for a few minutes"
  • The next time you buy that expensive plasma TV or another nice gadget, don't put the box out early on trashday; wait til the last possible moment to put it out there...don't advertise what ya got!
  • Keep your car doors locked at all times; we just had a rash of burglaries from simple things such as Ipods being left in unlocked cars; don't ask for things to be taken
  • Before you go to bed at night, make it a routine to check all doors to the outside and make sure your garage door is closed; I can't tell you how many times I've driven through our neighborhood late at night and see a garage door open (and yes, I do call them or ring the doorbell, because most of the time, they don't intend to do that)
Do you have any tips you'd like to share?

Photo courtesy of Andrew Edmark

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home