This Page

has been moved to new address

Order for All You Recipes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Order for All You Recipes

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Order for All You Recipes


There really is a simple solution to keeping all your recipes organized, and it's not a box of overflowing index cards or recipes cut out here and there and strewn everywhere! Oh God, that sounds like the start of a children's rhyme...I digress again. Really....there is honestly a better way to keep track of all the recipes you want to try, plus your favorites and having the ability to change and get rid of recipes that no longer float your boat! Here's how...

  • You are going to buy (or use what you have):
    • a large (at least 2") sturdy binder with inside pockets
    • a package of document protectors
    • plain computer paper
    • looseleaf dividers (not necessary but if you REALLY want to be organized go ahead and get them)
    • gallon ziploc bag
    • tape and scissors
  • Start cutting out recipes, making copies of library book recipes or printing off recipes online
  • As you collect recipes, put them in the Ziploc bag
  • Organize your binder by putting in the dividers and label them (Appetizers, Drinks, Breakfast, Soup, Lunch, Chicken Main Meal, Pork Main Meal, Fish, Meatless, Breads, Salads, Sidedish and Desserts)
  • Put those document protectors between the dividers, with a sheet of paper inside each protector
  • Start trying the recipes in your Ziploc bag; as each recipe passes the test of something you'd like to make again, tape the recipe onto a sheet of paper in the appropriate category (use front and back); try to keep similar recipes together
  • Tired of a recipe and don't want it in your binder anymore? Then just throw it out, leaving space for a new one
  • Finding space for new recipes can almost be as fun as trying out new ones
Now you have a recipe book that is flexible and can change as your tastes and interests change. I also like to keep a blank page in the front where I keep track of cookbooks and authors that have become my favorites (you can even write the source next to the recipe). How do you keep track of your favorite recipes?

Read this article and others like it on Make It From Scratch #28 at Summer's Nook.


Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this is a SUPERB idea, and one I will be implementing. Thank you!

August 28, 2007 at 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the ziplock idea. I usually stuff them all into a folder and never get around to filing them. I've made recipe binders for friends using oilcloth to cover it so that it can be wiped clean, but I've never got around to making one for myself - I will now and I'll use your system!

August 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

I really need to do this. You would not believe the mess in my recipe cupboard. Or the hassle trying to find one of the loose recipes. My system so far has to post them on my blog. :)

August 30, 2007 at 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home