This Page

has been moved to new address

My Silly Little Purchase Paid Off

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): My Silly Little Purchase Paid Off

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Silly Little Purchase Paid Off


I finally figured out a way to save a little extra money. My idea has paid off...three times over now...and I just giggle thinking about how I am fooling my kids...well actually, since they are older, I'm not really fooling them, but the novelty of this is so great, they are just happily going along with it.

After checking and watching prices for those cereal dispensers..you know the ones you sometimes see in hotels in their breakfast area...I finally found one on sale and with free shipping. I paid about $20 total for it. I eagerly waited for it in the mail. I was just hoping it wasn't a piece of junk, like most things you see in a catalog...I did wish it was made out of glass, but even though it was plastic, it was a tough plastic and I figured it would be acceptable. It came, and I was right (thank God).

Of course, the kids wanted to set it up right away. They even wanted to go to the store right away and get the cereal. I told them, no more premium boxed cereals. I steered them towards the big bins of the cereal in plastic bags...you know, the Malt-O-Meals and the like. I had never looked there. I would not admit to looking there. In fact, I had always turned up my nose at such stuff. Well, now I had an excuse to fill a "cool dispenser", so it was okay to pick a few bags out. The kids of course love Cocoa Puffs and wouldn't you know, there was something similar called "CocoRoos"...and to top it off, it was on sale. The CocoRoos ended up being 9.5 cents per ounce, compared to the Cocoa Puffs which were 33.8 cents per ounce. Quite a big difference!

We ended up loading our cart with all the CocoRoos they had. I threw in a few bags of something that look suspiciously like Cap'n Crunch. I don't know what the lady thought at checkout, but I also loaded up my cart with plenty of fruits and veggies. I didn't want her to think I fed my children solely cold cereal! Yes, we have it for dinner sometimes, but that's beside the point!

We raced home and put one of each cereal in each dispenser. It actually came with two dispensers. It even matches my countertops and looks a little stylish there in the corner by the coffemaker. I stepped back, turned around and both my boys were standing there with bowls and spoons in hand. We hadn't even finished putting away the groceries yet, we were that distracted with this new gadget!

Well, I let them at it. They proceeded to turn the handle. It came out okay...although a few pieces were a bit crunched, for a lack of a better word....but they didn't care. They loved it! The novelty of the device cancelled out any disappointment that it has a tendency to chop up larger sized cereal pieces AND that they were eating a no-name brand cereal here.

We've had it for a few months now. They still use it..almost every morning. Even our exchange student, husband and myself use the thing. Money well spent. The thing is still in one piece...a rarity around here...we are still buying the no-name cereal, although we realized we should continue to purchase small bite size cereal...no Shredded Mini Wheat clones for this dispenser..it would give a new meaning to shredded. Keep that in mind if you decide to get one. Plus, it has paid itself off....about three times over, if my calculations are correct, and I am no longer a slave to Kellog's, General Mills or any big box name!

There you have it. Have you made any purchases lately that have saved you money? Let's hear about it!
See this article and many others on family life at Real Life.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger liberal army wife said...

well, if they'd have a Kashi Go Lean cereal in the MaltoMeal bags, I'd get it. I used to buy the Cheerios clone for our son, who loved it Had a bin for it, nothing as fun as those you got!

LAW

September 27, 2007 at 12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I am a big fan of the no-name brands of cereal, you could've saved more by just getting the cereal and eating it from the bag. I mean, it was the cereal switch that saved you money, not the dispenser.

September 27, 2007 at 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! My kids are still young enough that they don't care what kind of cereal they eat, but this thing looks really cool. I'm going to remember it for when they get older and insist on Cocoa Puffs!
http://blogs.tampabay.com/standingby/

September 27, 2007 at 5:57 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

I tried that already...the bags don't close/seal right, and I've even opened the flimsy things and had cereal fly...I also have more pantry room now...no more rows of boxed cereal to look at...so, the silly purchase is still worth it:-))

September 27, 2007 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I've never seen those before! Cool, I want one now.

October 1, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home