This Page

has been moved to new address

Put Your Received Christmas Cards to Good Use

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Put Your Received Christmas Cards to Good Use

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, December 7, 2007

Put Your Received Christmas Cards to Good Use

I used to dutifully save all the Christmas cards and letters I was sent by friends and family. I even put them all in a baggie and labeled the bag with the year! How a.n.a.l. is that? Now I've found a better use for these cards, and it makes me happy and hopefully, someone else happy too.

I typically take a string or long piece of dental floss and hang it up between two points on a wall. The Christmas cards we get in the mail, get parked on the string. It really makes a room festive. Try it...you'll like it.

Now, don't do what I used to do after the holidays with your cards. This year, put the cards in a little basket. Every few days, next year, take out one of the cards, see who it's from and have your family pray for that family. Then, you are going to cut the card in half. Take the side with the pretty artwork...hopefully the back is still white. If not, get a large label and cover the writing. Draw a line down the middle. You are going to turn this into a postcard! Write the recipient's address and stamp on the right side, and write a nice "thinking of you" message on the left side. Don't forget to mail it. Now isn't that a much nicer thing to do with the cards than letting them gather dust somewhere?

What do you do with all your old cards?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Marine Wife said...

My father in law uses them as gift tags at Christmas and writes little poems on them that are supposed to give a little clue as to what the gift might be.

December 7, 2007 at 10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I used to hate throwing the old cards away. I didn't know what to do with them. What a great idea!

December 9, 2007 at 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! I also use old cards to make placemats (just arrange them the way you like, and cover with Contact paper) or for decoupage.

My mom used to donate them to the local elementary school's art program - sometimes they use the cards for crafts or inspiration.

January 8, 2008 at 4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea. I just read something similar (about using them as Christmas postcards during the same season for another recipient), but I like your idea better. And I hadn't thought of just covering the back with a label to send it back out again if they had written on it.

Definitely going this route this year. Thanks!

January 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

I have another friend who is VERY creative. She takes her cards every year and cuts off the front page, as long as there is no writing on the back. She also cuts out some of the sayings from the inside. Then she takes some plain quarter or half fold cardstock, cuts the old cards up with fancy scissors and will use different colored cardstock as matting, etc....and makes brand new cards from scratch. It's amazing how these look handmade and sometimes she will dress up the picture or setting with things hotglued on..buttons, ribbons, glitter..and just.... things! But, I would imagine this is time consuming...but what pretty cards they are!!

January 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home