This Page

has been moved to new address

The Only Salad Dressing You'll Ever Need - No More Storebought!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): The Only Salad Dressing You'll Ever Need - No More Storebought!

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Monday, January 28, 2008

The Only Salad Dressing You'll Ever Need - No More Storebought!

How many of those packaged salad dressings and bottles do you go through a year? You probably get complacent and think you have to get these things. They are convenient. They are tasty...or at least you convince yourself of this. Do you know, you can have a better, cheaper and more satisfying dressing that can be changed many different ways to match your meal? My German oma taught me this goody a long time ago, and it is my most requested item from everyone who eats a meal out of my kitchen.

This vinaigrette is versatile and EASY. The basic ingredients are as follows:

  • Olive or salad oil
  • Vinegar (apple cider, red wine or balsamic)
  • Sugar
  • Salt
And those are just the basic ingredients. You always want to remember to do about three parts oil to one or two parts vinegar. For a medium bowl full of salad, I use about three TBS of oil and 2 TBS vinegar. I add a few shakes of sugar and a dash more salt. That would be about 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp of each. Go ahead and taste it. You'll see what it needs. I recommend using olive oil, although regular salad oil works well too.

I also like to add:

  • Fresh parsley (you can use dried too)
  • Onions (and the key trick here, is to cut it up very, very small; use about 4 TBS total)
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese (I put this on after I put the dressing, then lettuce in the bowl and before tossing)
  • Chives (optional; I use it if I have it)
To dress up the dressing and to make it different you can add:
  • Heavy cream or creme fraiche (just a small amount)
  • Experiment around with different herbs and minced garlic
  • Substitute a fresh walnut or hazelnut oil for some of the olive oil
When I just make a cucumber salad, I add 1/4 cup heavy cream (or yogurt), 3 TBS olive oil, 1 TBS vinegar and some dill and freshly ground pepper. Try adding mint instead of dill for a bit of a different flavor.

What homemade condiments or dressings do you make?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

try using a raspberry vinegar instead of regular...

I will use the same recipe as you, but add 1/4 to 1/3 tsp of paprika and 2 tsp sesame seeds. This is GREAT on spinach and fruit (I use strawberries) salad (or try mandarins and almond slices).

I make a lot of things homemade, but rarely condiments, other than dressing.....

January 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Linda, that sounds great actually...something that would be easy to change...I would've never thought of sesame seeds!

January 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Yazmin said...

We use oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard. It gives it just enough tang without the need for processed sugar and added salt. (I know mustard has those things already, but it seems a less direct addition on our part.) :)

February 2, 2008 at 12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom used to make this for me growing up. We would only use the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and salt. I gave the recipe to a friend and she would have a small salad with this dressing before dinner everyday and she was able to lose weight from it =]

October 30, 2009 at 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home