This Page

has been moved to new address

Got Photos?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Got Photos?

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Got Photos?

If you're anything like me and tend to put some things off, you probably have stacks of photos somewhere in your house. I was really motivated at one time to tackle them. I even took a Creative Memories class and bought some of their stuff to make a nice little album. Well, it took me THREE YEARS to do ONE ALBUM. I said enough is enough...there had to be a better way and there had to be a better way that looked just as creative and nice...just as nice as what they can do.

So after brainstorming a bit, I came up with collaging. Let me give an example. I have about fifty photos that were taken in one day, at a pool. I wanted to put them in an album. I couldn't imagine putting them in a regular binder...one photo after the other...all with the same background...how boring...plus, I'd run out of album space before long. But, I couldn't whittle them down to a few choice ones...look at the expression of my little boy in that one...and look at that other photo where the boys are laughing with glee...I can't choose one over the other!

So then in a selfish moment, I said why can't I use them all? These are OUR photos for OUR family, and I want to be able to look back and get a real sense of how much fun we had that day at the pool!

I'm sure it's been done before, and if my Creative Memories teacher covers this, it must be in a more advanced class, but what about cutting up the photos to make a collage? I know, I know..you're not supposed to cut-up photos...at least that's what my mom taught me. That was a big no-no in our house. I had a hard enough time cutting off the ends and corners of photos in my class but quickly learned that if there is nothing distinctive in that part of the photo, it's okay to cut that part off. So I started cutting beyond what I was taught and was able to fit all the shots on two facing album pages...and I think it does look very nice and creative...AND, I can get a real sense of the joy and happiness we experienced as a family on that day!

Here are a few more nice examples of collaging. I am not that creative myself, but I hope to use some of these ideas in the future:



How do you deal with all your photos? Do you even print them out? Do they stay in your computer? How do you organize them there? How do you put your albums together? I would love to hear your thoughts!




Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started doing the exact same thing and had the same hang ups as you did!

February 21, 2008 at 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most organizers suggest putting all the photos in order in photo boxes.
I disagree. Kids can't look through photo boxes and get them all back in order after they're done.

Photos are better in a collage or in albums. If they are done with archival quality materials, they can be enjoyed and last for about a hundred years.

February 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home