This Page

has been moved to new address

How Do You Do Your Do?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): How Do You Do Your Do?

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Monday, February 11, 2008

How Do You Do Your Do?

I am just not feeling well at the moment...in fact, I am sick. I just spent $240 on my hair. I haven't had my hair "done" in the last eight months. Up until today, I was a Supercuts kind of gal...dutifully using the newspaper coupons to get my hair done at the chain haircut place where no appointments are needed. I finally decided to try something different. I figured, if I've gone that long without a haircut, then I deserve something really nice, right?

Well, I spent about three hours at this ritzy place with master and apprentice stylists. I should've known it was pricey when I didn't see the typical price list posted on the wall. There were also no gossip magazines but nice and stylish Vogues and some other fashion magazines I had never heard of. Sigh....So now I have rich brown hair, almost black with a red tinge and some totally fake-looking bleached out highlights to show for it. That's all I have to show for those three hours. My husband is going to kill me if he finds out.

My question is...I see a lot of ladies walking around...I'm talking general public here...with beautiful haircolor and highlights...some with long hair, but most with medium or short hair. I can get away, or at least I convince myself of getting away with longer periods of time between my haircuts 'cause I do have fairly long hair. How do these ladies afford this? They come from all walks of life, and they always seem to have nice hair? Are they spending $200 a pop on their hair? Do they go once a month or more...my God, that's thousands of dollars a year for haircare I just realized. Or am I totally missing something here and there is some secret squirrel kind of speakeasy where you can get your hair professionally done at a lower price? I don't think this is Clairol in a bottle stuff I typically see? Or is it?

Please, enlighten me and any other dunderheads who may be wondering the same thing!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh. We must be living parallel lives...

The last time I had my hair cut and colored was at the end of May and I had it done while I was in the States by someone I was comfortable with. I have hesitated to get my hair done here and a recent experience reinforced my hesitation.

When I was in the Springs I was a REGULAR at the Salon and had my color done every 6-8 weeks along with a cut. (You could never tell, huh?)! It did become quite costly, but not quite as bad as what you just experienced. I could usually get out of there for around $150.

For the past two years I have saved LOADS of money not having my hair done and I really haven't noticed that much difference. Especially since I'm not completely thrilled with the highlights and cut I did just have done. Fortunately I am out less than $100. That's the only good thing I can say about making this mistake here--it was definetly a less expensive one!

February 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Yeah, I am still pretty upset over it...I used to color it myself...but with resistant grays and almost black hair...I couldn't color it with anything but black...so no highlights and the one time I did try to change it to brown...I had Ronald McDonald red roots...and the rest was still black!

I just can't believe I've been shopping for an external hard drive in the $200 price range for months...thinking it was too much money for what I was looking for..and what do I do? Drop that same amount in one sitting on my stupid hair!!!

February 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh. That's a lot of dough to spend on a hair do. Personally, I found a local gal in a decent "salon" that only charges me $30. I don't have anything fancy but it's a haircut - with a splash of style.

February 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger tootie said...

I was just thinking about this very topic this week...

I need to get my hair cut soon, and I'm really debating how much I want to spend. Do I go for a cheap cut and hope it looks ok, or go for the too-expensive cut that's a good cut?

If anyone figures out the secret to all of us, please share with the rest of us! :)

February 13, 2008 at 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get my hair "done" every 3 months, with a trim in between. I go to the base salon for the trim, but use a salon out in town for the color. It does cost me a lot for the color, but I trust the hairdresser. I just have heartburn over paying someone $50 just to trim my hair though.

February 15, 2008 at 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "secret" is deceptively simple: Get referrals from friends and interview the hairdresser before you let him/her touch your hair. Have a frank discussion about his/her approach, experience, training and prices. There is no need to be afraid of a stylist. You are the customer and it is your money you are spending.

The same woman has done my hair since 1983 through many, many different styles, colors, etc. I keep going back because she does a great job, knows me & how much effort i am willing to put into my hair, charges a fair price and is honest. In fact, she gave my kids their first haircuts and is still cutting their hair, 20 and 16 years later. Ditto BigBob whom she did a makeover on in 1985 when we were first dating. :-) I have referred many friends there and they are all loyal customers.

You just have to do the research . . . it takes time and effort. Is $240 too much? Yes, in my opinion. But I pay about $60 for a good quality cut and color. I live in Lodi . . .the same services would probably be more like $75-85 in Sacramento and well over $100 in San Francisco. It's all relative.

Are you happy with the $240 salon? Then you just have to find a stylist who can duplicate the look in a much less haute couture setting for a reasonable price. They're out there. Your mission: Find them!

Thanks for contributing this post to this week's Carnival of Family Life, hosted at Modern Sage -- Practical Living Blog. The Carnival will be live tomorrow, so please stop by and peruse all of the wonderful articles submitted this week!

February 17, 2008 at 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm really lucky, I guess. I found my hairdresser about twelve years ago, a guy with his own salon, just him. He's always been very flexible, a delight to talk to, and I get a cut and style for $25 or color for $40. It always looks great, and it's set so I can style it myself every day. I always wondered how much different John Edwards' $400 haircut could be-- it's still scissors and hair...

February 19, 2008 at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home