This Page

has been moved to new address

An Army Career = Job Security in Today's Economy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): An Army Career = Job Security in Today's Economy

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, March 28, 2008

An Army Career = Job Security in Today's Economy

How depressing. I just read about a lady featured on CNN who made $70,000 a year, suddenly lost her job and now is struggling to put food on the table and keep her house with her $2,500 mortgage. She was also recently denied food stamps. When was the last time middle class America had such a rough time? Why do I feel safe that this won't happen to us?

I am reminded about my neighbor. They were solid middle class too...til he lost his job. They are about to lose their home, and at this point, he is looking at just about any slew of jobs he can get, including delivering pizzas. The wife is out cleaning other peoples' houses. I also know someone in the airline industry who is waiting for the "other shoe to drop". Delta will not be the only one in trouble. There will be massive layoffs coming again in the airline industry this year. Our local newspaper has even shared a few stories of hardworking Americans who are struggling right now.

There is a silver lining though for those of us in the military. Unless the US government totally goes under, we will still have our military, and my husband will still have a job. He won't get downsized. If for some reason the Army no longer needs his specialty, he will be given the opportunity to reclassify. His pay will not be cut. Historically, that has never happened. He'll continue to get his benefits. His pension will not be taken away. And, he won't get fired unless he does something illegal or immoral. How is that for job security? What company or corporation in America can offer the same? I can't name a single one myself.

Even with this kind of job security, he does take responsibility for himself and his family. How many of these families hurting today had an emergency fund? I don't care what your situation is or how much money you make right now, you need to save up three to six months worth of living expenses. We have about two years worth saved up, easily accessible, but that is because we have a chunk of rental houses. You never know what is going to happen there either, and if all the houses were to stay empty for a few years, we would be sweating it. Make a commitment today, to start saving. Vow to never be in such a situation. Make sure you have a good life insurance policy. If you are non-military, you'll need a good disability insurance policy as well. Many of these families in crisis today, didn't see it coming. You won't either, but if you follow these steps, you'll at least be able to roll with the punches and recover quickly.

Do you have any tips to share about fortifying your family and your life? Does anyone have any enlightening or uplifting stories to share?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Reasa said...

We are just starting on our emerancy fund. I hope to have at least 4 months of savings by the end of summer. We will see how it goes. As for being in the military rght now, I am glad Hubby did it when he did. His old job had restructared the pay scale adn it was going to be a $100 min loss per month. Scary to say the least.

March 28, 2008 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You are right to an extent, but a couple of years ago my husband went through a "force shaping" of the Air Force. We were one of the lucky ones that were able to stay, but we knew two good people that lost their jobs. They were able to cross over to the Army if they wanted.

I love your blog!

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Did they get some kind of severance pay? I remember..when was it...about 15 years ago, I think the Army went through a restructuring where they were giving people the opportunity to get out early...I'm not sure if any were forced out? Are there any military members who are out there who might be able to give us more information?

March 29, 2008 at 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home