This Page

has been moved to new address

Looking Yet Again for that Unique Gift

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Looking Yet Again for that Unique Gift

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Looking Yet Again for that Unique Gift

Here I am again...same day, different year...for the last....let's see...5 years. My dad got remarried and his beautiful young wife likes things that are unusual and pretty. She is also a professional photographer, so has an eye for things that are different and unique. So once again, here I am on my quest to find something I think she would like.

I contemplated sending her flowers....but since I don't like flowers myself...don't get me wrong...it's not the flowers themselves I don't like, but the watching them die, and at what cost and also the clean up of the vase and moldy petals....I decided not to go that route this year. So I then started googling "unique gifts", even "stepmom gifts" and whatever phrases I could think of. I just couldn't come up with anything.

Then I stumbled upon a site called Etsy. It's the place toted as "your place to buy and sell all things handmade"...hmmmm...intruiging it was. It reminded me of eBay but without the auction part. Not only are there jewelry categories, but everything from baked goods to baskets to pet products, gadgets, paper goods and even seasonal items. There were all kinds of sellers on there, selling all kinds of unique things. Some of the things were obviously trash...sorry...I am not an artist, and I can put together some of that stuff, but hey, beauty in art is in the eye of the beholder...but other stuff, makes you go....wow, that is something very different! I ended up buying her a necklace with the image of a vintage Hasselblad camera. For those of you who don't know....Hasselblad is THE ueber camera manufaturer to have and to hold...a very high end many thousand dollar camera they make. My stepmom happened to get one for Christmas a few years ago. I didn't even know of the name before then, and I thought it would be neat to have a necklace as such. I'll let you know how it goes.

Be sure to check out the site when you get a chance. If you know of any other unique shopping websites out there, please do share them!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year I am leaning towards museum admission tickets (or possibly a year long membership for unlimited admissions) for my aging parents who 'only want consumables'.

I think they'd enjoy going to the NEWSeum.
kirsten

September 13, 2008 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

I found out about the site when I learned my sistern-in-law sells her artwork there. It is a very neat site and I love to browse. Preferably the vintage style aprons.

That necklace is so neat. Im into photography as a hobby and I would be thrilled to get a piece like that. Best of luck1

September 14, 2008 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Marine Wife said...

My MIL also likes things that are unusual. She also collects boxes and rocks. When we were overseas, I was always on the look-out for anything that would be considered unique back home for gifts.

Good luck!

September 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home