This Page

has been moved to new address

Never Again Lumpy Gravy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Never Again Lumpy Gravy

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Never Again Lumpy Gravy

Grandmom taught me this one. For those of you who cook, how many times do you make gravy...and then it ends up being lumpy? If you're one of the unlucky ones, here's how to never have lumpy gravy again.

I make gravy by adding a cup of water and a cup of broth to whatever meat I have cooking in a pot, in a roaster, in the oven. While you are slicing the meat, or even if you're too lazy to do anything more with the meat...just shove it to the side....take a measuring cup or any kind of container...an empty yogurt cup will even do. My grandmom had this cool little plastic measuring cup with a lid...I use an old jelly jar with a lid. Fill it with a 1/2 to a cup of COLD water. Drop in two tablespoons flour...or cornstarch....close lid and shake VIGOUROSLY until it is all dissolved. If you don't have a lid, then use a fork or small whisk instead. Make sure it is nice and smooth. Then pour this concoction into your broth/water mix. Stir pot and bring to a boil...keep stirring til gravy is nice and thick and remove from heat. And there you have it.

Sometimes, my gravy does end up needing more taste, and that's why I just pour in some chicken or beef granules (depending on what I'm cooking) and a bit of salt...perfect gravy.

If you have any tricks to making great gravy, please share with the rest of us.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I always use cornstarch, and the same basic method you mentioned. My mom taught me that.

I make one dish we call "meat and mash" with gravy. I cook up a pound of ground beef (86% lean is best because of the fat for flavoring, but I usually use the 96% lean to reduce the fat and add more seasoning). After the meat is cooked, I add a cup of water (or so, not an exact thing), add some Kitchen Bouquet (or Gravy Master), seasonings (season salt, italian seasoning, garlic powder or salt, or a rosemary herb mix) and then I use my whisk and slowly add my water/starch mix (while this is on medium heat). Because you're making the gravy right in the pan with all the meat still there, it's very tasty. The "mash" part comes when you serve it over mashed potatoes. Sometimes I serve corn with it and it's a sort of Shepherd's Pie (without the baking!)

August 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Speaking of Shepherd's Pie, I have a recipe from Kraft that uses ground beef, frozen mixed veggies (I don't thaw them like the recipe says), a gravy packet (yes, I cheat when I make this dish) and mashed potatoes with cream cheese, garlic and some shredded cheese...the kids and DH love this stuff, plus it can be made quickly and without a kitchen mess...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/CookingSchool/StepByStepRecipes/DinnerRecipes/EasyShepherdsPie.htm

August 21, 2008 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home