This Page

has been moved to new address

In the land of the apple pickin'

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): In the land of the apple pickin'

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Monday, October 4, 2010

In the land of the apple pickin'

I honestly thought we were in the middle of nowhere...the road kept getting narrower and narrower, and then our two vehicle caravan entered a forest....and you know us Americans with our minivans and SUVs in Belgium (or Europe for that matter)...it got tighter and tighter....and just when I wondered how I was going to turn around or back up, there it was!  A big apple painted on a tree!...and cars coming in from all directions....we had made it!  Here in Belgium, we are surrounded by farms of all kinds and today, we discovered an apple farm with apples just waiting to be picked and eaten....

The first thing my 11 year old said was....cool....and he meant it.  Rows and rows of different types of apples all neatly labeled.  I am no apple connoisseur, but what in blazes are suntan apples?  Booskop...ahhh, I recognize that one.....I've forgotten all the other names as I had never heard of them before, but one yellow/red apple was half the size of my son's head!  I am using two of those right now to bake a wonderful Pearl's Apple Crisp.  Since I am lazy when it comes to piecrust and the packaged stuff just doesn't taste homemade, I make this crisp instead with its rich and thick buttery crunchy topping...it can't be beat and tastes great with ice cream!

Here's the recipe:

Pearl's Apple Crisp

2 lage apples (enough to cover a pieplate; I use a glass one)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
1 cup flour
sprinkling of cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), partially melted

Preheat oven to 325 deg F.  Clean and cut up the fruit into pieplate.  Stir in white sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.  Combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until it is nice and crumbly.  Place mixture over fruit and pat down.  Bake until golden brown, about 50 minutes.  Serve by itself or with vanilla ice cream!

Back to the farm.  You take your bag or crate (bring your own), and walk (or if you have boys.....RUN)....up and down the rows and start picking and packing it in.  When you are done, go see the nice lady in the barn and put your bag on the scale.  I spent about five Euros for around six kilos of apples....there will be a lot of apple eating in this house the rest of the week!

To find this place, if you are coming from the SHAPE/Casteau area, start heading on the main route towards Braine-le-Comte and Soignes or else your your GPS will take you off on some serious goatpaths!

The farm is called "Culture Fruitiere du Pont du Jour", 7090 Henripont, Belgium. The farm is off Chemin du Servoir to help your GPS find it, but by then, you should see the cars and signs:-)

I'm not sure what their hours are, but we went on a Sunday afternoon, and I do know they are open Saturdays too. Thanks Nicole for taking us there! We enjoyed the afternoon!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Heather said...

Oh! I might have to pop over to Belgium to do some apple picking (I am in Rotterdam, the Netherlands) as it is on my 101 list and I have yet to find an apple picking place here (although they must exist)!

October 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

If you google the word for farm in Dutch...and your area, you can at least get a start on farms near you! There has to be something there:-)

October 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home