This Page

has been moved to new address

Cats and the Foil

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Cats and the Foil

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cats and the Foil

The stupid cat....sometimes I just want to strangle him.  I opened my wallocker today (yes, we get issued those ugly Army wallockers overseas), took out a shirt, and it was COVERED in litter.  Come to find out, the little rat has been sneaking in there...okay, so I left the door open a few times....and making himself a cozy nest!  Yuck!!!!!  It doesn't help that the litter box is only about 20 feet from there....I wondered why a few kernels of litter would always be on the floor just outside the door....now I know why!!!!!!  After a week, I can now leave the door wide open, and he doesn't go in there at all....know how I trained him?

First, a little about our cat.  He is messy.  He does his litterbox thing and goes out....there's the first tracking of litter....then he goes back in and scratches, scratches and then scratches some more....I swear sometimes he is in there for 3 or 4 minutes scratching!!!!  I notice he is doing this more and more often as he gets older...reminds me of an old man with bad eyesight....so, there goes the second track of litter, which is now so entrenched between his toes, that he leaves a longer-than-usual-trail.  Even though our special cat litter carpet catches a whole heckuva lot of it....it's not enough, hence the trail.  You should see the obstacle course I set up, to make him walk the long way around the master bathtub...but that's fodder for another story.

I have found that most cats detest aluminum foil.  Our cat will not go near it....and after some online research, neither will alot of other cats.  So, if your cat is misbehaving, or if you want to train him to stay off of something, put a layer of tinfoil down.  I had to do this in my kids' sock drawers, my husband's underwear drawer and on a little pretty endtable I didn't want him on.  Before long, with or without the foil, he stayed off, and I kind of forgot about it....til now.

Now, my dad's cat...is a Siamese.  I think that says it all.  This loud and obnoxious cat (although sweet) will jump in a pan of water set out on a counter he is not supposed to jump onto.  Obviously, he jumps right on the aluminum foil too....and stare at you defiantly.  That may be a Siamese thing....I don't know.  So if you have a Siamese, this may not work.

Give it a try, and let me know how it works out?  What other unusual products have you used to keep your pets away from something you don't want them on or in?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous susanna said...

I am not a cat person...and when I read that cats go around the house 'spraying' I was a little - grossed out...
So Siamese cats are special? So their traits vary from breed to breed? Did not know that either. Something learned. :-)
Susanna

December 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Me neither Susanna, and here I am with one!

As long as a male cat is neutered before he gets that....one track mind....you won't have a cat that sprays in the house. It's sometimes the cats also that have been strictly outside cats and then come inside...they can have issues like that as well.

And Siamese cats...they act like dogs (if they don't have the "fraidy cat" gene)...and they "TALK" constantly...whenever I call my dad, I can hear BOTH of his Siamese cats...his wife loves the breed...you should see them run to the door when she comes home, and of course they want to play.

December 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our cat is quite docile at the best of times, and I have discovered that she can be useful against the Belgian Police: http://wp.me/ppqxP-2K

Nice tip about the foil which I did not know of - will certainly give it a try, next time she tries to sleep on my suits.

December 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home