This Page

has been moved to new address

Ask VMW: When exactly do I get my ID card as a new military spouse?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Ask VMW: When exactly do I get my ID card as a new military spouse?

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ask VMW: When exactly do I get my ID card as a new military spouse?

I thought I would answer this question today:

My husband just enlisted in the air force and we are currently waiting on his job assignment and the date he leaves for BMT. I do have a question and was hoping maybe you would know because my husbands recruiter has never dealt with a married recruit before. But do you know when I will be eliglble to get my dependent id card and be able to get on base? Will it be after BMT, or AIT or during one of those? Thanks so much for any help!!

And my answer:

Congrats to you!  Yes, you have a lot going on, don't you?  Once your hubby ships off to basic, he will go through a multitude of insurance, will, power of attorney, military stuff and a host of other inprocessing items...all in the first few weeks.  He'll enroll you in a computer system called DEERS....send you some paperwork, and then you with the paperwork and your documentation you provide, go to your nearest military base to get your ID card.  Once you are in DEERS, you can access the post/base, shop there, get healthcare, access to dental thru Tricare/Concordia Dental, etc...without it, you can do nothing, which I am sure you have figured out!

You can help by gathering all your important documents such as certified copies of your marriage certificate and birth certificate.

You can also find some pertinent information in this blogpost.

Good luck and welcome to the club!



Blogger newkirkfam4 said...

When my hubby was doing all of the paperwork at BMT, he needed a certified copy of our marriage license in his possession to enroll me in DEERS. It does help if you know someone at the base closet to you that can sponsor you on base, but the gate guards and visitors center should be able to get you where you need to go too.

January 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home