This Page

has been moved to new address

Ask VMW: Need information on bringing my motorcycle overseas

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Ask VMW: Need information on bringing my motorcycle overseas

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Ask VMW: Need information on bringing my motorcycle overseas

Someone recently asked quite a few questions about bringing their motorcycles overseas.  Since I know very little about motorcycles over here, I thought I would ask an expert....a soldier who not only rides street and dirt bikes but who is also a motorcycle instructor on post.  Read on to find out more about it.

I've cut and pasted the answers below.  Remember that these are Belgium specific, but I do remember that Germany has similar rules for our military folks overseas.

1.  First and foremost am I authorized to register two motorcycles as well as the family van and a hoopty?
A.  You are authorized to register both motorcycles as well as your van and hoopty as long as you have proof of insurance for all vehicles you are registering to license for street use.  Your van or hoopty which...ever gets the worst gas mileage will be tax free then you will pay taxes annually on the other vehicles that you register for street use.

2.  The motorcycles (both) will be shipped as part of my household goods, shouldn't be a problem with the weight since we learned our lesson from our first tour and will sell a lot of stuff for the move.
A.  You are correct; motorcycles are considered part of your household goods.  The movers should build crates for your motorcycles to be shipped in.

3.  I will have to show my motorcycle license and riders course completion at vehicle registration, but I am not sure if additional motorcycle only testing will be required.
A.  If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your valid driver’s license from the US, then a motorcycle endorsement will be on your Belgium license once you have passed the written Belgium Drivers license test.

4.  I will have to register both bikes and pay registration fees.
A.  There is no registration fee for bikes or cars, only the annual tax on licensed street driven vehicles.  You only have to register bikes that are going to be licensed for street use.  If you have a bike or bikes that will be used for competition, racing, or off road use ONLY, they don't need to be registered.

5.  I will have to pay roadtax on a 1 liter and a 1.3 liter bike, not sure how much that will be.

A.  Road use tax only needs to be paid on motorcycles that are registered and licensed.  The taxes are not extreme, around 100 Euros for a 1.4 liter bike.

6.  I am not sure if I will have to get the bikes inspected, this might be an issue for my track bike as it is very modified.
A.  Your van and hoopty will need to be inspected but there are no motorcycle inspections.

7.  Since one of my bikes is semi used for track purposes can I claim it as an off road vehicle and not register it at all?
A.  Only motorcycles that are going to be used for street use need to be registered and licensed.  If the motorcycle is ONLY going to be used for off road track use it does not need to be registered.

8.  I understand space in Belgium households is a premium.  Do most homes in Belgium have garages and will they fit two motorcycles?
A.  There are plenty of homes with garages.  Finding a garage for your van and hoopty may be a problem.  Finding a garage for two bikes will not be a problem.

9.  Does your husband or any friends ride?
A.  Yes.  There are many motorcycle riders in SHAPE.  There are street riders, motocross riders, and competition road racers.  I do not know of any drag racing tracks, but there is a small track (I've seen quads on it) along the canal between Obourg and Nimy.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh husband has a Harley and we are coming this summer. Thanks!

February 18, 2011 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Harley's with the addition of "Loud" pipes are a problem in Germany. They go through inspection & If they are too loud you will need to have the "Factory" pipes back on.
Our motorcycles in Germany did require inspection. & I'll check with Motor Vehicles on a couple of these questions that made me rise my eyebrow for Germany motorcycles. I'll get back today :) We have two motorcycles [cruiser] and two cars [Jeep & Fusion] we're Army & in Bavaria. If there are differences I'll post. :)

February 18, 2011 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Jenny...we would love to hear what you find out! Thanks for offering!

February 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there, I will have the complete response on Tuesday. I have my question into Transportation [verification on number of 'recreational' vehicles that can ship] and the motor vehicles. I didn't have time to wait Friday seems we have a new group of troops in the area. But both offices said I could come back on Tuesday and they'd have it ready. =) Glad to help its painful enough moving without running into problems!

February 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok my comment was too long so I put the Germany answers on my blog:

http://ostranderblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/moto-pcs/


Hope that helps!

Jen

February 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home