This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm Vacuuming the Air

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): I'm Vacuuming the Air

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm Vacuuming the Air

Do you vacuum the air? For once, I honestly admit, I don't know what I'm doing! I actually vacuumed the air today...in my house. I will admit...I have thought about it before, but this is the first time I crossed that invisible line and did it. Who vacuums the air and why?

I had to sit on the stairs and ponder this a minute or two. Before kids and pets, I cleaned somewhat fanatically. I really don't remember seeing all those....things...floating around in the air back then. You know, when the sunbeam hits just right. They are everywhere.

I've done just a bit of scientific research in the past and know this stuff is lint, pollen, dust, people and pet dander...you know dander...that's pieces of dried skin. Dander sounds much nicer I think. There are also things floating around that I don't really want to know about either...I suspect of course...but I think it's better not knowing.

I am wondering what things I can do to cut down on the floaters:

  • Get rid of dog, cat and/or kids. Well, not an option...next.
  • Don't use fluffy towels. Do you ever notice the dust is especially bad in the bathroom? Since I'm saving money, no need to buy any more fluffy towels..I'll use the old ones and leave the really nice ones in the closet til guests come to visit.
  • No more Charmin. I can do that. The fluffier the toilet paper, the more stuff that gets blasted into the air. Ever look at all the dust around the toilet and wonder what that is? That's what it is. Go with the cheap stuff.
  • Close all windows and doors and weatherstrip openings. Well, we still have to go in and out, and now the Florida evenings have a cool breeze...I'm not closing my windows.
  • Take shoes off before coming inside. We try to do this. The Japanese have a point in this arena. What do I do with the dog and cat? I used to babywipe the dog's feet. Yes, I did but please don't tell anyone. They'll think I'm cuckoo. I won't do that anymore...that may have been just over the limit. I'll just put mats by the doors. Ditto for the kitty by his litterbox.
  • Regular vacuuming. You should vacuum at least once a week. With pets, you really need to vacuum more often. If you start seeing dust bunnies, then you skipped an important vacuuming session. Vacuuming is actually good for your carpets...and yes, you should see less stuff floating around. I think I can get one more vacuum in...at least sporadically anyway.
  • Frequent changing of furnace air filters. In case you didn't know, your furnace does have a filter and it does need to be changed. Read the packaging that came with the filter, and it'll tell you when it's time. I write that month in my day planner. Most last three months.
  • Install a whole house filtration system or get one of those spiffy room air cleaners. Well, there's no money for the whole house system, so that's out. I've heard they can do wonders with folks who have allergies. Those Sharper Image-size air cleaners...I don't know...I think the jury is still out on that one. We had a smaller one in our bedroom for a bit. I sure didn't notice a difference, so I returned the thing. Unless I purchase a home with the whole house system already installed, this isn't an option either.
For once, I am stumped. I am still sitting here on the stairs...vacuuming the air....wand held high like the Statue of Liberty. I see the stuff getting sucked in there but you look around, and there is just as much stuff floating as when you started. In fact, it's stirred up even more, like an angry hornet's nest! Arrrggghhh! Is this actually doing ANY good? Does this have any redeeming value? I bet I'm wasting my time...going to stop now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home