This Page

has been moved to new address

Clean Your Bathroom in Under 5 Minutes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Clean Your Bathroom in Under 5 Minutes

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Clean Your Bathroom in Under 5 Minutes

Cleaning your bathroom does not have to be a real chore. The key here is maintenance and frequency with an overhaul every now and then. There are some things you can easily do, to limit your time in the bathroom for other than the necessary human tasks we all must do as contributing members of society. Here goes...


Each bathroom needs its own set of cleaning supplies that you don't have to cart around the house. I like to keep my supplies organized in one of those trays with a handle. Here's what you will need:

    • Lysol-like wet wipes
    • Papertowels
    • Alka-Seltzer tablets
    • Toilet brush (get a cheap one and not in an enclosed stand unless you want to farm bacteria)
    • a used toothbrush
    • Windex or other glass cleaner
    • Lysol disinfectant spray
    • Toilet bowl cleaner
Do these tasks once a week
    • Put an Alka-Seltzer in the toilet and let it fizz
    • Spray Lysol disinfectant on doorknobs, faucet handles, toilet handles and lightswitch
    • With Wet Wipe #1, wipe rim of tub and base of toilet
    • With Wet Wipe #2, wipe toilet seat, underneath seat, behind seat and where drips tend to run down toilet (those darn boys can't aim straight)
    • Wash your hands
    • With Wet Wipe #3, wipe around sink, faucet and inside your sink; use that used toothbrush to brush around faucet if dirt has collected there, then rinse and wipe dry with papertowel and glass cleaner
    • Clean mirror, faucets and fixtures with glass cleaner and papertowel
    • With Wet Wipe #4, wipe down the bathtub and shower; if you run out of liquid, just make it a little wet; I like to rinse with a pitcher of water (if you don't have a handheld showerhead)
    • Use the toilet brush and wipe around inside the toilet bowl and don't forget under the rim. If you must, you can pour in some toilet bowl cleaner to help you along
    • With Wet Wipe #5, clean floor, working your way towards the door, wiping everything into a pile if you have hair and debris on the floor (if you have a large floor, use something like a Swifter with a wet cleaning pad)
    • You're done
Well, okay, that sounds simple enough...but what about my shower scum and bathtub ring you say! You're going to laugh, but we do the next few steps EVERY TIME we use the bath or shower. Our shower and bathtub have absolutely NO RING and NO SCUM because we take these few extra steps.

  • Use shower gel instead of bar soap...it's as simple as that. No soap, no soap scum.
  • After EVERY shower, use a squeegee to get excess water off the walls. You'd be amazed at how clean your shower will be! This is totally worth the few extra seconds and if you do it often enough, it will become habit, and you won't even think about it. I even have my kids and husband trained to do this! About once a month, I can take plain Windex and a papertowel to shine it up some more without any scrubbing!
  • We keep a washcloth drying out over the rim of the bathtub. We use this special washcloth to wipe the inside of the tub, while still sitting in there, to tackle the ring. As the water is draining, all you have to do is keep the water moving, splash it up a bit on the sides...no more ring!
What do you do to keep your bathroom orderly? Oh, and BTW, my eight year old and ten year old, as well as our exchange student have been trained to clean their own bathroom. I've noticed they tend to keep it more orderly, knowing they have a hand in cleaning it. Do your kids clean their own bathroom?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Mootz said...

Surprisingly, cleaning the bathroom is my favorite room to clean. I've never tried Alka-seltzer in the toilet so I'll have to give that I go. Once a week, before I leave for work, I pour some bleach in the toilet and let it sit all day. By the time I get home, the toilet bowl looks like new and no scrubbing required. Also, we use the Automatic Shower Scrubbing Bubbles thing. It works like a charm.

April 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Ramie :-) said...

I clean my kids bathroom while they are in the tub.....I have to be in there anyways, so why not make it productive?!
I put them in the tub, soak the toilet bowl with cleaner, then clean the sinks and counter (and cabinets usually, since they are 4 & 1 and there's typically some toothpaste stuck on them). Then I do the mirror and then the toilet gets scrubbed and wiped down. Then I wash my hands, then my kids, and get them out and dressed. Then I scrub the tub, using the washcloth that I used on them, and rinse the tub out. Then I use the towel that was on the floor for them to step out on to clean the floor...with the water that they splashed out (they ARE 4 & 1 afterall). It's easy, and it only takes me about 5minutes longer then just giving them a bath! Next week I think I'll bathe them in my garden tub so I can scrub in there!!!

Ramie

April 4, 2008 at 3:50 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

army wife, before I knew about the squeegee and "no soap" thing, I thought about trying out the auto shower thing...I am a sucker for gadgets really...but once I figured out the longterm cost of buying the refills and realized all the chemicals that would regularly be spraying around, I nixed the idea. Try it with the squeegee and "no soap" and let me know how that compares with your method.

If you decide to stick with the auto bubbles, this lady has decreased the cost of refills down to $1 each.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Refill-Scrubbing-Bubbles-Automatic-Shower-Cleaner-/

April 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I meant to comment on this and forgot....

I simply clean my mirrors with water. We three bathrooms. Each child basically gets one, so the mirrors are always messy. I just wet my hand, wipe the messy mirror and use a towel to dry. There are no streaks. There may be a little lint, but really...have you EVER had a lint-free mirror? (the only way it ever worked for me was using newsprint, but then I got dirty hands!)

I keep a sponge on our bathroom sink and we use it daily...since that's where hubs shaves. He will use it to clean the shaving dust, then when I'm in there brushing teeth and such, I'll run it over the rest of the sink and get rid of the TP dust that gathers, as well as hair, toothpaste and soap residue. Takes less than a minute to do it daily.

I absolutely HATE cleaning my tubs, though. I guess because I have three of them. AND, because they all have sliding glass doors. AND they are textured plastic. This means a: dirt gets into every little crevice of the texture, making it almost impossible to clean, and b: bending over the tub is an exercise in futility due to the track of the door.

It took me awhile, but I discovered Soft Scrub's Deep Cleaning Foam Spray. I now remove the doors and reverse them in the tub so I can spray them. I spray the doors, AND the walls and the tub liberally, then I leave the bathroom for about 20 minutes.

When I get back to the bathroom, the foam has soaked and done most of the scrubbing. I just use a teflon scrubbing pad to get the last of the grime out, rinse everything off, and rehang the doors.

April 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous nitrile gloves said...

Thanks for the tips...helps to know what exactly cleans the washroom well.The Lysol wipes are also for personal body use purpose or just fir cleaning purposes?

March 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home