This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm Off to a Timeshare Presentation, aka "the cheap vacation"

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): I'm Off to a Timeshare Presentation, aka "the cheap vacation"

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm Off to a Timeshare Presentation, aka "the cheap vacation"

Well, I've finally broken down and decided to attend one of those timeshare briefings. My husband is a Hilton Hotel rewards member and was peddled a timeshare weekend getaway if we attend this two hour briefing this Saturday. Since we're paying only a hundred bucks for a four day weekend, and we've never been to one, we said why not? He just got back from being gone for three months, so this can be a nice little break for the two of us, plus we're supposed to get two Disney tickets out of it.

I know, I know, I've heard horror stories about how you are pressured at these things, have to go through a slew of salespeople and supervisors to try to get convinced and then are treated persona non grata after your final refusal, but I did go to Trip Advisor and read reviews from others who did the same thing at that very same resort. They all said this particular resort in Orlando is just beautiful and the sales presentation is not as pushy as most.

I know these folks have had years to perfect their spiel and can probably convince the average person to buy a timeshare or even sell their firstborn child. But, I think with both my husband and I being there, and knowing we are running off to Germany in a few months, I seriously doubt they could talk us into anything. Oh, and for those of you who have recently been pushed into a timeshare and are frantic about what to do, you do have a "cooling off period" to change your mind. This is mandated by law and not something they do not do out of friendliness. So don't totally panic. Of course, there are those of you who already have timeshares, and I don't want to take anything away from you. We have good friends who have one and regularly trade weeks around the world at other timeshares in the network, but even they have admitted they could've saved boatloads of money by buying one second hand. At any given time, you can find dozens on eBay Timeshares and also at timeshare resellers for the fraction of the cost of a "new one".

Before taking the plunge, read:

The Timeshare Trap (an older article but still valid today)

Before You Buy a Timeshare (a NY specific article, but things to think about for anyone who accepts a vacation package to go see a timeshare)

The Critical First Five Seconds of a Timeshare Presentation and The Five Simple But Essential Steps to Getting a Sale (read the other psychological stuff this guy wrote to talk people into buying timeshares)

I Attended a Timeshare Briefing in Hawaii and did not intend to Buy


Has anyone here had a timeshare experience they'd like to share? I'll be sure to report back after we get back!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH my....my fiance and I went to one in Las Vegas before we moved here and it was supposed to be two hours. Four hours later, lots of supervisors, etc... and we barely escaped. And we didn't even get a trip out of it! ;) Just $50. Hope you're having a great trip!

April 14, 2008 at 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to a presentation in Alexandria, VA, and the pressure was pretty intense. I didn't buy because I was already considering another travel membership, that turned out to be much better than timeshare ownership. I posted my story to my blog at http://professionalsales411.blogspot.com/2007/03/global-resorts-network-better-than.html

June 8, 2008 at 1:38 AM  
Blogger Phila Hoopes said...

Hi,
One of my friends, Ed Hastry, is the founder of the National Timeshare Owners Association - www.nationaltimeshareownersassoc.com - which is an owners-only group dedicated to providing honest information, straight answers, free networking conferences with licensed experts, and real deals instead of scams. I'm really glad you got out of it, Military Wife, and for those who've been thru the mill, do check out the NTOA.

December 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We rented a timeshare and took the tour. Boy was that pressure! We didn't cave though but wound out buying the same thing for $5,000 less through the company that got us the rental. If you decide to buy timeshare then buy resale like we did. I recommend www.vacationtrader.org.

March 9, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home