This Page

has been moved to new address

New York City on $200 a Night!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): New York City on $200 a Night!

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New York City on $200 a Night!

I had always wanted to go to New York City. Is it really that hard getting a hotel room? I've had people tell me it is almost impossible! Right before I left Florida, a neighbor told me what she did to get around the availability or should I say non-availability of rooms and also the sky high prices.

She and her husband wanted to do a quiet weekend in the city, in Chelsea, the artist's district. They are both artists and wanted to visit a slew of art galleries and also get a break from their two little kids.

They went to Craigslist.org and looked under apartments and condos for rent. There are many listings available. They ended up finding a nice one bedroom place that was $200 a night. It had clean sheets, a view, was close to everywhere they wanted to go, had internet access and a fully stocked kitchen that they were invited to peruse. Their host also stayed in a nearby friend's apartment and was available to help them plan their iteneraries and restaurant forays.

I know that sounds fairly easy, but for safety's sake, I wouldn't do this if I was traveling on my own. I'd also bring something, like a wedge, to stick under the front door, give family members all the info on where we'd be staying and if I could, get some references from the person offering up his place. Most people are legit, but I could see myself being the one person who didn't make the right choice when it comes to picking some random place. Alternatively, you can try these other methods of finding a place to stay.....some are even free.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger IF Blogger said...

If you're staying in NYC you might want to check out the SSMA Club's hotel. From what I've heard it's pretty similar to a hostel and it's much cheaper than a hotel in NYC, especially for one person. Also, the NJ Transit trains have a military discount and they'll drop you have right at Penn Station in Manhattan. So if you find a place in NJ that's cheaper it'd be worth the short train ride. Hamilton Station was really nice and had a nice/new parking garage.

August 13, 2008 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Sweet European Dreams said...

A great source to use since you are in Europe is www.homelidays.com It's an apartment service also and we got incredible apts in Paris and Rome for half the price of hotels. Have fun!

August 14, 2008 at 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home