This Page

has been moved to new address

Loaner Furniture For General Officers Only

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Loaner Furniture For General Officers Only

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Loaner Furniture For General Officers Only

I just had to share this. A friend of mine's husband has been commuting long distances to work lately. They got orders for his new position here, but there has been a wait for housing. Imagine that. So, she's been bringing him the two hours up here, dropping him off, getting errands done and then going back home to her idyllic life on Lake Constance. This is repeated every week he is not TDY, ie out of town on business. Well, it is finally getting close to the time they are supposed to move, so she thought she would make some arrangements. Luckily for them, there will be housing available for a door-to-door move, and right across the street from me! Right now, there is an unaccompanied General Officer living in their quarters. He would've gotten a nice house when he first arrived, that they reserve for generals only, but since he was here without his family, he thought it wouldn't be right for him to take up a whole house....so he is in stairwell living with the rest of us drones. My friend left most of their belongings in the States, so she has to rely on government loaner furniture mostly. So here's the kicker.

She made arrangements with the housing office's furnishings department, to coordinate this loaner furniture. She was able to find out what was already in the apartment.....obviously the man had everything loaned to him, as he traveled light all by himself. The furnishings lady kept saying, you'd have to make an appointment to first pick up the furniture, and then have the furniture you want delivered. But...she said....isn't that a waste of time and the government's money? Can't I just keep the things I want? No, this is not how we do things here. Okay then, how about you leave the bed, the coffee table and the dining room table and chairs. The furnishings lady replied that oh no...we absolutely can't do that...you see....the dining room table is for general officers only. Well, I'll be..... Now I have it in my mind to peek in his window, just to see what that stuff looks like and how different it is from my loaner dining room table. But I think I'll hold off...I don't want to get arrested for being a peeping Tom. I can just see the arrest report on my husband's desk tomorrow morning!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a friend who got promoted and had to live in the designated house which was across the street from the house he currently lived in with his family. Rather than just hire a bunch of guys to take the stuff across the street, they did a complete military move, 2 days packing, 1 day loading a truck. Then they drove the truck 15 miles away to weigh it (15 000 lbs), then drove the truck to the house across the street and spent 2 days unloading and unpacking.
CRAZY!

September 16, 2008 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Now that is absolutely the craziest thing I have heard in a LONG while!

September 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That cracks me up. In Korea I know the Trombitas' dining room table and chairs as well as their end-tables and coffee table were the same as ours. They had fluffier couches and chairs though! There's A LOT I don't get about the Army and the way they do things, especially when it comes to spending $$$.

I have a friend who is TDY in Georgia right now going to school. She has 4 days between her current school and her next school and she is flying back to Korea for those 4 days and then back to Georgia to start the 2nd school.

If she had chosen to stay in the States for that short amount of time, she would have had to on her own $$$ and would have been charged leave!!!! Insane, right?

September 18, 2008 at 3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home