This Page

has been moved to new address

Make and Take a Meal

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Make and Take a Meal

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Make and Take a Meal

You know, I still have a very fond memory, of when I had our first little one...and the tater tot casserole someone brought over to me after my son was born.  I don't think I'd ever heard of tater tots before I had kids...seriously, I am telling you the truth!  I remember being so entranced with the dish and how everything was in there....I want to say all the food groups or should I say all levels of the pyramid...I don't know, that sounds dumb but you know what I am driving at.  Anyway, our unit used to rally up whenever someone had a baby.  A schedule was put together, and the mom had meals taken care of at least for the first few weeks after coming home...it was great.  I enjoyed it, and I tried to make sure that happened in every unit I was in after that!

Do you do something similar in your unit?  Would you like to share what you do?  I know you can make this as easy or as time consuming as you want it to be.  There was a time where I would have a homemade dessert, maindish, homemade bread, salad and even drinks.  Now, it's more like a maindish that'll have leftovers, still homemade bread and salad....but mostly storebought desserts.  I've found that it's great to add some kids' drinks and grown-up soda....one of the items most likely not to be found in the house of a new baby.....along with toilet paper, papertowels, wipes and diapers.  Of course it was like that in our house!  Always running out of the staples!

I think I have some good recipes that deliver well in my Cooking section.  Keep in mind that casseroles and lasagnas work best.  Try to find out what they had the time before.  It'll work even better if one spouse volunteers to maintain a list of volunteers and what they are bringing...and when.  I sometimes even assemble the casserole, and if I come over early enough, I leave heating instructions.  There's something to be said about a home with the smells of home cooking as it gets closer to mealtime!  I also recommend using disposable dishes....tin and tinfoil for the hot stuff and those plastic containers for everything else.  Even something as simple as pork chops baked in Campbell's mushroom soup and a container full of mashed potatoes can be filling and appreciated.  You don't always have time to make a meal from scratch, but I can tell you, any meal will be appreciated....it's the thought that counts most of the time and speaking for myself...I'll eat almost anything if I don't have the time to cook it myself.  I am not picky and seasoning powder and salt can do wonders for just about anything!

Nostalgia aside, if you have any great recipes to share that are perfect for taking over to someone's house, I would love to hear them!


Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

Great post and your comment about disposable dishes is excellent! No new mom wants to have to worry about the ownership of various casserole dishes, or washing them all either! It is very helpful to have one person organize the organize the schedule so the family doesn't end up with five lasagnas, and they can also ask if there are any food allergies or particular dislikes within the family. It's such a blessing to have a week or two of meals at a time like this.

May 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny and I have good memories too of some of the things people made for me when I had my babies! Thanks for sharing this reminder and how important this is!

May 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Christine said...

We've always done this when a friend has a baby, and we've had meals done for us twice, and I can honestly say it is the BEST baby gift I've ever received! Recently, we've been using a site called www.takethemameal.com , and it's a huge time saver for the coordinator. Everybody goes in and picks their own days, posts what they're bringing. It's so easy to use and it's free.

May 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home