This Page

has been moved to new address

People still calculate in non-Euro currency over here

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): People still calculate in non-Euro currency over here

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

People still calculate in non-Euro currency over here

This just cracks me up...but then again, I'm an American not schooled in such things (even though I sometimes say I am German if it benefits me...hey, I'm half right, cause I'm half German)....anyway...so I bought this book about Paris in our local Troc.com, an awesome second-hand store which I blogged about before.  They sometimes have cool old books, but this was a new one.  Okay so this is not about the book.  It's about the receipt.  Yes, the receipt.  You see, everything looks nice and orderly, and in fact, just like an American receipt (except in French), until you get to the very bottom.

The entry I circled in the pic says "484,08 BEF".  So what the heck is that?  Well, if you can believe it or not...it is close to a decade that the Euro currency was brought to Belgium and people still calculate what the thing will cost in Belgian Francs, the previous currency.  That's right.  Especially the older generation.  They absolutely want to know what that thing is worth in Belgian Francs before they buy it, whether it's a book, a piece of furniture or a sack of vegetables.  Nevermind that we haven't had the Belgian Franc in nine years to value it against other world currencies.  It is forever stuck in la-la land.

And before you laugh...the Germans do it too.  In fact, right after the German Deutschmark changed over to Euros, you could still walk into stores and see two price signs and tags.  The Deutschmark price and the Euro price.  Of course you could only pay in Euros but people still wanted to know.  My grandpa, rest his soul cause he had already lost one fortune when the Reichsmark went to the Deutschmark and thought it would happen again....even he continued to do it until his dying day about 12 years ago.  I suspect my aunt still does it too although never out loud these days.

So next time you get your receipt in Europe, take a look at the bottom and see if you can find the old currency.  You just might see it there and impress your friends with this fairly useless bit of knowledge!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger edith said...

They do it in Slovakia too!

June 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger ines said...

they do it Spain as well. Its pretty funny since no one uses the pesetas anymore.

June 16, 2011 at 4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Italian Lire!

June 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home