This Page

has been moved to new address

No More Cereal for Breakfast

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): No More Cereal for Breakfast

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, January 4, 2008

No More Cereal for Breakfast

My family is in a breakfast cereal rut. On weekends, I do play a little Martha Stewart and make eggs to order or a breakfast casserole, but during the weekdays, it just ain't happenin! There really are some other quick and healthy and breakfast ideas that your kids can really sink their teeth into. Here are a few ideas:

  • Toasted bagels with cream cheese. For some reason, my son wants these things every morning for the last week. We went to a nice breakfast at a friend's house, and that's what they happened to have. Go figure.
  • Hard boiled eggs. Boil a dozen before you go to bed and then refrigerate. My kids like to take the egg slicer, slice 'em up and put them on a piece of toasted bread spread with a thin layer of mayo.
  • Fruit salad. Make a bowl the night before. This one's more for me than the kids, but it's refreshing and eye-opening eating a bowl of fruit with a dollop of vanilla yogurt in the morning. I use mostly strawberries, grapes, pineapples, kiwi and then add sliced banana in the morning. Apples and blueberries work well too (just use a spritz of lemon on the apples to keep them fresh). Sprinkle with granola for some crunch.
  • Ready-to-blend smoothie. I like a glass of milk mixed with a handful of frozen berries and a few tablespoons of yogurt. Put it in the refrigerator overnight. Blend it up in the morning and enjoy.
  • Muffins. There are so many recipes of wonderful muffins out there. You can even hide veggies like shredded zucchini and carrots in them. They freeze well. The night before, I take however many I'll need and put them in the refrigerator and give them a quick toast in the morning before serving. They taste great with margarine or cream cheese.
  • Oatmeal. Yes, we all know the instant oatmeal packets. How about a crockpot full of oatmeal that smells heavenly and requires no fuss in the morning? Here are some crockpot oatmeal recipes.
  • A banana wrapped with a pita or wrap. Spread the wrap with some peanut butter, put the banana inside and wrap it up. A perfect portable breakfast!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I'd love to do most of these, but my kids would never go for it! But I have to admit, they do eat waffles and pancakes as well. It's always nice to hear them say they'd rather have waffles than a bowl of sugar sweetened cereal.

and at least once a week, I will give them the REAL stuff. Someday, I'll actually cook a TON of pancakes, then freeze them myself, instead of buying them prepackaged. But it is convenient.

January 4, 2008 at 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips! The banana and peanut butter one sounds like that make work for us!

January 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger ABW said...

Don't forget yogurt pie! Mix together yogurt and fruit (I use the natural not in syrup canned stuff cause I can keep it on hand) then put it all in a graham cracker crust and freeze it. My kids love to have pie for breakfast!

January 8, 2008 at 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you just gave me some fantastic breakfast ideas.

We're in a bagel and cream cheese rut. And honestly, I don't want to spend more than 5 minutes in the morning getting breakfast ready. I'm still sleep walking an hour after I get up!

January 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

See more recipes on the Carnival of Recipes:

http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/

January 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home