This Page

has been moved to new address

The Quest for a Great Hair Cut

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): The Quest for a Great Hair Cut

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Quest for a Great Hair Cut

Thank-you Tootie for this article! I think we all can totally relate!

Somehow I managed to survive our recent military move, including the packing, the sale of our home (finally!), and even navigating around our new base. But, there's only one thing that I've dreaded more than anything else: finding a new hairstylist.

Not just any hairstylist – a great hairstylist. The irony is that I hardly spend any time doing my hair. In fact, aside for a quick blow dry in the morning, I almost completely neglect my hair altogether. But, I know a great hairstylist can do great things cutting my hair – and thus cutting my number of bad hair days, at least in half.

It took me a couple years at our last base to find a great hairstylist. For a while, I went to a lady who gave a pretty darn good hair cut, but I had to endure an hour of painful conversation to get it, which made me lukewarm about the whole ordeal. Then, at a friend's recommendation, I went to another lady and finally found the Holy Grail of hairstylists: a woman (also a military spouse) who gave an amazing haircut at a bargain price, plus provided some very pleasant and enjoyable conversation in the process. And, if her enthusiasm and expertise weren't impressive enough, then her list of past clients (that includes Heather Locklear) was. I know that I won't find anyone here who is quite as amazing as she is, but I'm hoping to find someone that still will do a great job.

There is hope for us – and our hair – surviving each move, and here is what I've learned so far:

  • Get your hair cut with your favorite stylist right before you move. You better believe I saw the Holy Grail of hairstylists before we left our last base. It gave me at least a little time before I had to rush and find one at our new place. Plus, I needed a cut anyway.

  • Start looking for a hairstylist early. I know it might not rank on the top of your to-do list when you move. But, if you wait too long, you might get desperate for a cut and go on impulse to the first stylist you can find. I did this once, in Georgia, and got a hair cut so bad that it warranted this comment from a co-worker: "With all due respect, what did you do to your hair???

  • Ask other ladies in the area for recommendations. Getting a suggestion for a good hairstylist cuts out a lot of the uncertainty, and it offers you much better odds than walking into an unknown salon. If you don't know anyone in the area yet, ask a woman that you see who has a particularly great hair cut. I'm sure she'll be flattered that you like her cut, and she'll probably be happy to share the name of her stylist. It doesn't hurt to get more than one recommendation, especially if the first person you ask is anything like the woman I asked last week in my yoga class at the base gym. Her response was an enthusiastic: "I cut my own hair!" (Hmm…)

I know that I have many more moves and hairstylists in my future. But hopefully with the right recommendations (and some good luck), I'll get some good cuts. If not, I'll be the one in yoga class with my hair secured in a perpetual pony tail.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Took me forever to find a good stylist. I was always the "Great Clips" kind of girl...but then I got the worst haircut ever, and decided to find someone who could do what I wanted. And I did. And darned if SHE didn't move away after 7 months....sigh. So off I go again, to find another stylist. And as soon as I do, I'm sure WE'LL be moving....

January 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Been there done that!

January 3, 2008 at 2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to decide too if I should find a real stylist. I have so much color on top of color it would take a stylist who charges a lot to fix it.

January 5, 2008 at 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I read this a few days ago and had to laugh HYSTERICALLY! Not only do I completely understand this situation.. but I am going to be faced yet again with this dilemma when we move.

Thank you for making me laugh!

January 9, 2008 at 5:58 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

I still haven't gotten my hair cut either. I have so much grey showing...I've had people comment on it! I guess it's time to do something...

January 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a question for all of you....if you could track down your fave hair stylist....that is if she/he suddenly up and moved/changed salons and was unable to contact you, how important would this be to you?

I know that when I find a good stylist I freak if they move or like what happened to me recently, the salon owner was doing bad things with the money and could not pay his staff and closed the doors...no more salon and I had no way of knowing where my stylist went.

January 16, 2008 at 3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't guarentee a great cut but you can save some money by checking out local school auctions for hair coupons. If you're in an area that supports Pierre the Expense's salon, he is probably donating coupons to the local private school. These go for a fraction of their face value. Call the local schools & ask if they're having an auction and if they accept absentee bids. They will probably fall all over themselves to send you a catalogue or direct you online.

April 5, 2008 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home