This Page

has been moved to new address

The Food Court Addiction

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): The Food Court Addiction

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Food Court Addiction

I can't believe it. That makes two days in a row. I am using today as an excuse, because I just picked up my MIL at the airport. Why the food court? Because our food court in Germany has a German Sehne Bakery!

Because my waistline and my self-imposed allowance won't allow it, I try to only go once a week. When we first arrived and paid $7 for a burger value meal or $6 for a slice of pizza and a soda, we vowed never to complain again about the relatively low prices in the States for eating out fast food. The German bakery is an oasis in the food court of greasy burgers, pizza and generally heart attack worthy foods...a place where you can have a yummy homemade and wholesome sandwich for only a few dollars, paid in Euros. Of course, the eye and palate pleasing pastries are nothing to turn your nose up at either. I also now keep sodas and Capri-Suns in the car, so we never have to throw money away on drinks wherever we go. This is where restaurants and fast food places make their biggest profit...drinks. The Germans don't serve drinks with ice anyway, so what are you paying for other than the smile they are giving you as they hand you that drink? Most times, they are lukewarm anyway. My MIL already asked if we are going back tomorrow. I mumbled a response then told her she'd better take a quick nap now, while I think of an excuse not to go.

Do you spend too much time at your food court? Especially overseas? What do you gals do in the States for food as you are toodling around town?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

In Bamberg, there wasn't really much of a food court. BK was a separate building (and we ate there WAY too often), and our "food court" consisted of Anthony's Pizza and Charley's. So, needless to say, we spent very little time there. It was always an exciting time to go to Würzburg and experience a REAL food court...got to eat Taco Bell!

Here in the states, I don't live on post and make it a point to avoid the PX as much as possible, so the food court is not a regular choice for me.

My best place to eat here is called McAllister's Deli. It's got a great variety of foods (soups and sandwiches). If you've never heard of it, think Panera Bread, only WAY MORE affordable. My favorite thing about it? The kids' meals are REASONABLE. At Panera, you'll pay $4.50 for a PB&J sandwich. But at McAllister's, it's $1.50...and it comes with Teddy Grahams and a side (which is usually a fruit cup, BY HIS CHOICE, for my son!).

Other than that, we do the fast food circuits when we're "toodling"...

September 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As our time in Korea drew closer to ending we found ourselves at the Food Court A LOT! We had little food in the house (I had stopped buying it) and it was more (?) convenient--or so it seemed.

We SWORE when we got back to the States it would be AGES before we would step foot in a Taco Bell or Subway again.

As it turned out, our first place to eat while we were in Hawaii was Taco Bell at the nEX food court. UGGG. And now when we are out and ask Gunnar where he wants to go it is ALWAYS Taco Bell. So much for getting to avoid it!

I always carry water bottles (I'm quite fond of the Camelback ones) wherever we go. Nearly every place you go has a water spout on the soda machine and it does DRASTICALLY decrease the amount of $$$ it costs to eat out. Plus it's way healthier--I still pride myself on the fact that Gunnar is 5 and has never had a soda!

As far as fast food overseas, I seriously miss street food (food on a stick)! It's the best! Cheap and easy clean up!

September 18, 2008 at 3:31 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Tava, it is so good to hear from you! I cannot believe Gunnar is five already! Where has the time gone?

September 18, 2008 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home