This Page

has been moved to new address

German Toilets and the Display Shelf

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): German Toilets and the Display Shelf

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

German Toilets and the Display Shelf

Did you know American toilets use anywhere from two to three gallons of water for each flush? Do you know how much a gallon is? Do you realize that is a few bathtubs full at the end of the week depending on how many are in your family! That's nuts! No wonder Americans are known as the resource wasters of the world...and rightly so. Now here in Germany, you gotta love the ingenious way they are designed to save water. I am equally impressed with the industrial strength vacuum that accompanies every flush. But the one thing I am having the hardest time dealing with and teaching our children, is the added work of the display shelf.

There just is no other way to describe it. Almost every German toilet has a bend in the porcelain, where "things" can get "caught up", leaving a little bit behind if you know what I mean. And it's right there for all the world who uses your toilet to see. If my little ones could only throw down a perfectly square piece of kleenex, the toilet would at least look clean, after every time they have to do their duty.

But my older one insists that a "pre-flush" will do the trick. Well, why don't you do it then? He is all talk. I could just see him and his friends discussing German bathroom issues on the playground at school. Anyway, I have decided that THEY will clean their own toilet the next time. Maybe then they'll be more inclined to be a little neater. Are girls any neater with this kind of thing?

For those of you in Germany, what other quirky things have you seen?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger IF Blogger said...

I'm in Ohio right now and I've come to appreciate water and electricity a little more lately. We've been without both for 5 days now. Go figure it has to happen when I come up here on vacation. Anyway, we've been filling the back of the toilet with water we pick up from base (Wright-Patt AFB). We put about 2 gallons in each time and the tank is nowhere near full. I'm at Panera right now for internet and the toilet here uses 1.6 GPF. Good luck with your toilet cleaning. I really hope I can get over to Germany for my next assignment!

September 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I always called it the Poop Deck...because that is exactly what it was!

Our toilets were a bit different...the display shelf was on the front, so you didn't get your little show...and it was nice because going to the bathroom at night in the big echo chamber that is a fully tiled bathroom...well, there was no water splashing!

My most favorite thing about our German toilets was that they did not touch the floor...they were off the ground, mounted to the wall and I could easily clean underneath!

September 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Mila said...

Organized and disciplined as they are, Germans and their toilets are famous across Europe because of their (German) habit to check what did they "pop out"; actually occasional checking is recommended for health reasons but I think that Germans went too far with following that recommendation. LOL So they have designed toilets that make that checking easier.

September 18, 2008 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Do you really think that's why they are designed the way they are?

September 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Marine Wife said...

Some girls may be neater, but certainly not all. My 4 yr old, definitely not. You don't want to see the state of her toilet! (She shares with her big sister but I KNOW she is the culprit!)

September 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Mila said...

YES, trust me, that's known fact (for us Europeans) that Germans have "lay and display" toilets. :)

September 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home