This Page

has been moved to new address

Broke Another Golden Rule Today

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Broke Another Golden Rule Today

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Broke Another Golden Rule Today

I don't know if you're like me.....but do you have certain things that you always do a certain way, cause you know if you don't, it's going to be a hassle and make your life more difficult later in the day?  I call these my "golden rules" and two come to mind that I typically do not break....but I broke one of them this weekend, and now I'm mad at myself, cause it's going to cause me some unnecessary running around when one son has a soccer practice and the other has to get a project done.

The first golden rule is to ALWAYS have something in the pantry/freezer/refrigerator that can be cooked up in 15 minutes and put on the table for dinner.  I admit, I start out the month or week in an organized frenzy....even have a shopping list and then the recipes I will cook that week on the back of that list.  Heck, I've even got a list of recipe titles in my day planner, with all ingredients that aren't staples, in parenthesis....just in case I run in somewhere and realize I don't have dinner at home....but no, this is not the rule I broke....I'm pretty good at always being prepared for that one.  I like to cook....sometimes, but just knowing your family is going to be sitting there staring at you....hungry, is reason enough I don't screw that one up!

No, I'm talking about my second rule.....always have a potluck or appetizer item's ingredients in the house, so you can fix that right up at a moment's notice.  So now I'm stuck....I have someone coming to the house to fix something today...the typical "you have to be there from 0800 to 1630" thing and then immediately off to a first soccer practice, so no drop and run....parents need to stick around and listen to the coach....and the wives coffee I am attending is tomorrow morning.

Any other time, I'd whipping something up....not today....we even ran out of milk, so what good will those eggs do me?  I guess I'll be scrambling to throw an idea together before the stores close.  That's another thing.....grocery stores around here close at 1800 to 2000, and if you are lucky, there may be one closing at 2100.

So....maybe the repair guy will come early....but Murphy's Law says....no he won't....well, I have the whole day to be creative....at least in my mind!

Have you ever been in such a situation?  Do you have any "golden rules" at home you typically don't break?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! I never run out of white socks. My husband HATES it when he runs out of socks! I even bought a bunch of extra socks and keep them hidden away just in case.

September 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Roy said...

Dear Military Wife (now in Belgium!),
First of all, thank you, military wife, for all the good you and all the spouses do for our country.
I found your blog by searching "boy scouts mons shape." My son is a Rotary exchange student, junior in high school in Mons. He left here, James Island, near Charleston, SC, not having completed his eagle. He would be interested in the program there if he can figure out how to make it work with his host family, school, etc. Could you send me information/ contacts about the scout program there?
I would be most appreciative. email: roydavissmith@aol.com
Thank you,
RoySmith, Noah's dad

September 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

There are 3 things I ALWAYS have to have at home, Coke, Cookies and icecream. That's a standing order.

LOL

September 8, 2010 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Roy, thanks! My recommendation is going to be for you to contact the SHAPE Chapel to try to get a contact for the Scouts. I heard from a few members that it was getting ready to start up again for the Fall...and it seems a lot of the scouts and their families are church members...I can also ask some of my friends but definitely check the chapel.

SHAPE Chapel : 068 44 5601
E-mail: RCP@benelux.army.mil

Also, either the American HS or the Elementary School may be able to give you a contact too...

http://www.shap-hs.eu.dodea.edu/index.asp

September 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home