This Page

has been moved to new address

Kids and the top 5

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Kids and the top 5

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kids and the top 5

www.internetclipart.com
Your kids do what you do.  Have you ever noticed that?  We obviously play a huge part in who are kids are and will be on their own...when no one is looking.  I've talked kid stuff before.  I have not always followed my advice, but this much is clear.

After all our child rearing...which continues on of course....these are the top five things I try to drill into our kids' heads:

  • Setting the example.  I know I'm honest and hardworking.  I don't have a problem with that.  It's the little things that get me....like leaving dirty dishes in the sink (I have) or not picking clothes up from the floor (I have too).  I don't care how much you preach to your kids...if you don't do it yourself, you might as well go and talk to the wall.
  • Consistency.  Same response every time.  I don't like this one.  I get lazy sometimes.  Sometimes I am just too tired or I don't want to get up, or I have a secret desire for all of us to play a little hookey while dad is gone.  I try to stop myself....a lot....this is your bedtime, this is when you do your homework, this is what happens when you don't do your homework and so on.
  • Chores.  Gotta have them.  I had them, my parents had them, and I'm pretty sure my grandparents had more of them.  I hate the chore chart.  I always forget.  My older son fills it in sometimes for us...how accurate is that?  I am a firm believer that if a child feels like they are contributing to the household, they will be a more active and caring individual in that household, plus it helps me with my next point.
  • Punishment and Rewards.  We've grown out of the star stickers...but, I still track their chores vs. what they earn.  I don't spank....but I sure do take things away.  So does dad.  Now that they have laptops, I have more choices of things to take away.  I see they are more attentive now and realize the whole "action/consequence" thing.  I don't know if it's because I have more to take away or because they have more stuff.
  • Doing what's right when no one is looking.  That's a mouthful.  When they finally get that (they haven't completely), then I feel I have done my job as a mother and parent...it's a beautiful thing to see it happen the first time.  To get to this point, you have to follow the points above.
  •  
Do you have any points to add along these lines?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home