This Page

has been moved to new address

Take advantage of commissary early bird shopping

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Take advantage of commissary early bird shopping

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Take advantage of commissary early bird shopping

I think this program was rolled out a few years ago when commissaries began installing self checkout counters.  Double check your closest commissary before you head out, bu the gist of the program is that you can shop one hour before the store officially opens.  If you don't like crowds and can check out your own groceries (as it only works for self check-out), then this is for you!  Many commissaries also have limits to the number of items you can buy...usually not more than 20 or 40 items, so double check that too before you try it.

I know at our last duty station, I used to do it all the time.  Even on paydays, it was a ghost town.  I don't know about you but guaranteed parking and not having to navigate among all the parked carts in the aisle is what sold me on it!  You also tend to be a bit more selective in your shopping choices and not impulse buy, knowing there is a limit.

Oh, one more thing that you probably already know...but just in case....coupons are valid 6 months after the expiration date on your coupon if you go to an overseas commissary...so don't throw that old stuff away just yet!  You can also donate your old coupons...I believe to ACS, if you no longer need them...those of us overseas will still squeeze money out of it.  If I'm not mistaken, there is also an organization out there that sends expired coupons overseas.  I'd post it here but am momentarily too lazy to look it up!

Do you have any commissary shopping tips to share?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do this all the time! It's nice and quiet and I know I can only buy a set amount so no impulse buying! Shopping is now less stressful and cheaper.

March 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home