This Page

has been moved to new address

More on Kindle and FREE Internet Overseas (plus another cheap tip at the end)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): More on Kindle and FREE Internet Overseas (plus another cheap tip at the end)

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

More on Kindle and FREE Internet Overseas (plus another cheap tip at the end)

I've posted once before on the Kindle.  While Amazon continues to support this free internet feature while you are on the go, take advantage of it.  What am I talking about?  Do you mean I can use my Kindle while I am backpacking through the Alps without a wifi connection?  Yes...and here's how....

If you've looked at your newer model Kindle... I think this is only on the last few models....you can see there is an Experimental link in the Main Menu.  Click that and then go to the web browser.

Type the web address you want to visit....use the symbols key to type in @ and other symbols beyond the "period".  Yes, it took me a nanosecond to see there was such a key, as I was about to panic about not being able to type the @ symbol!

The web browser is kind of funky and some full featured websites will have trouble coming up....or will come up slowly, so try the mobile version of a site.  For example, instead of Yahoo.com, go to mobile.yahoo.com.

I had no issues checking email, tweeting or using Facebook...the main things I used when traveling this first time with my Kindle in wireless mode (usually I just keep that off...cause it scares me).  I also made sure I read the US headlines and frankly, that's how I found out about the earthquake and devastation in Japan...while enjoying a restful holiday in Ireland, up in the mountains and on the trail of "Braveheart", I decided to take a little snack break and read the news....sorry it wasn't any good news but glad I was able to stay updated on world events without a Smartphone (which I refuse to get until we are back in the US)....most plans are much higher than what you would pay in the US, and I am just too ultra-cheap to pay them....although, if you can't live without your phone tweeting and texting and just plain using it for data, try the favorite mobilevikings.com.  That's what most folks use around here who want the cheapness of prepaid AND lower-cost data capability.

Do you have any Kindle tips to share?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Callender Family said...

Just found out about your facebook page and blog. I am an AF wife, orginally from Belgium :-) I became a US citizen last month and can't wait to read your blog :-)

March 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home