This Page

has been moved to new address

Gifting a Word Collage

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Gifting a Word Collage

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gifting a Word Collage

Here's a great idea from Tiffany...something that I've never thought of.  Read on...

Recently, my husband celebrated a (rather) milestone birthday and I wanted to commemorate with family and friends - but with everyone around the world, I was stuck.

Then I stumbled upon word collages - what a great gift for a writer to give her husband. And a great way to incorporate love from everyone. I had family and friends send me a word (the total equaled his number of years) to describe him or their relationship with him. He was touched.

Word collages are great for our military spouse life because they are inexpensive, special and unique. Imagine you have a retirement to attend. What do you give the retiree, or the spouse, to commemorate such service - and not spend an arm and a leg? Or spouse club going away parties? Or little morale gifts?

Here are my tips for word collages in the military life:
- Incorporate jargon. You know those silly acronyms and words that somehow become part of our vocabulary. Word collages are a great place to celebrate the weird language we have learned - and the intricacies of a field or specialty.
- Don't forget to include some of the jokes, quotes, rules and overused phrases among the guys or girls in your community. I would avoid anything too offensive, but those slightly off-color jokes can bring back lots of memories.
- If you are commemorating a whole career, make sure you think back to the early days. Were there special schools or trainings? Deployments? Include words from all his or experiences. (You might need a spouse to help with this one!)
- Include a list of duty stations, zip codes or bases in the collage. (My friend made one of all the street names of their former addresses. Too cute.)
- The best word collages have a whole mix of words. Use names of tools, uniforms or equipment. Use verbs regarding tactics or missions. Use commands and lyrics. Use places and addresses. Use adjectives or adverbs to describe certain experiences.

If you want more tips, come on over to my website.  I have lots of ideas!

Have you ever created a word collage? How was it received?


Thanks Tiffanie for the neat idea!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

Pretty neat :)

July 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww man...this would have been perfect with the antique frame I got my mom!

July 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger MooAtU2 said...

I did something like this for our band director in college. I put a picture of our group in the middle, and the background I put little says and memories running across the paper. It turned out really neat!

For Christmas for my dad, I famed the wedding picture of my grandpa and grandma, and for the mat I printed out lyrics "In Color," a country song my dad loves onto some scrapbooking paper.

I like the idea of different fonts and sizes and directions of the words in your example!

July 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Tiffany said...

Hi there!

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone.

Anon, if you printed the collage on a parchment colored paper, Wow! That would look great!

Moo, love the idea of different sayings for your band director. A great way to tie everyone together with inside jokes.

Come on by my site for more tips or to purchase the stepbystep guide! Just $2.99! http://tiffanysilverberg.com/2011/02/word-collages-writing-in-the-real-world

July 26, 2011 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home