This Page

has been moved to new address

Still No Orders...Didn't Even Think Travel Would Be Non-Concurrent

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Still No Orders...Didn't Even Think Travel Would Be Non-Concurrent

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Still No Orders...Didn't Even Think Travel Would Be Non-Concurrent

I just can't believe it. Still no movement orders. Still can't plan anything to move to Germany, and we are about 30 days out now. I thought this would be the one time in my husband's career we'd be able to move....on time, with enough time to have at least a week before having to arrive at our new unit. It looks like that is going out the window yet again. Without orders in hand, you can't plan anything. You can't outprocess your unit and your post and you can't schedule when the movers will come or when you will fly. It is the most nerve-wracking limbo you can be in during your Army journey. We assumed (yes, we had been told this), that we would travel as a family to Germany. Now we are being told, because of the big housing crunch over there (wait time is averaging three months), we will not receive concurrent travel...travelling together, which specifically has to be on your military spouse's orders. If travel is non-concurrent, which it is in our case right now, my husband would travel over first and we would follow a few months later...in September...

My mind already started running through the possibilities. Where will we live? The people renting our house are coming in June, so that's out. Where will the kids go to school? We will also miss one of the most important milestones in my husband's life when he has his battalion change of command. I just wanted to crawl into bed and give up for a moment.

So, that's where we are...basically, where we were. My dear husband has been calling everyone under the sun to get this changed. I guess I'll sit here patiently to see what happens.

Update 4/30/2008: Well, it looks like travel will be concurrent. We don't have our amendments for our orders in hand yet, but the powers that be have made their decision. We had to get the housing office in Germany let 1st PERSCOM know there was housing for us. 1st PERSCOM is the one making the decisions on concurrent travel if you are going to Germany. They in turn let our unit know we could get the orders changed. What a hassle! My advice to you...if you know you are going to Germany, and you are lucky enough to know what post you are going to, check their housing situation. For those of you who don't have advance notice, you will be at the mercy of 1st PERSCOM and where they decide to send you...make sure you have a Plan B should travel be non-concurrent.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we moved in 2006 we had a posting message issued that we were to stay in the same city (hubby with a different job). That was cool. No move. Then we had the order rescinded. Then a NEW order was issued to another city so we planned our HHT (house hunting trip). Then the NEW order was put on hold.

We didn't find out if the new order was to go through until about 20 minutes before we signed the lease in the new city.

The military life - Hurry Up and Wait!

April 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Been there, done that...the non-concurrent travel, that is. But I didn't have all the big issues to face (like school - because quite honestly, it would really suck to have your kids start school in the states and have to pull out a month later...AND the DOD schools are usually completely different...meh). We had non-concurrent travel. The post commander had made an edict just before we got orders that, if housing was to be available within 3 months of your NLT date, then you would have to wait...even if they had "off-post" housing available. So, hubs went in April and I went in June. We were about 5 days into the window...five days later, and we'd have qualified for off-post housing. But quite frankly, I don't see how they could have predicted it, anyway.

My issue was traveling with 2 young children. I had a 4 year old and a 15 month old. You'd think the Army would take THAT into consideration, but nope, they don't. Which always brings me round to my saying: If the Army wanted you to have a Family, they'd have issued you one...of course, it would be the wrong size, shape and color, and be obsolete before you got a chance to use it.

As they also say in Hooahville (man, I need to save THAT as a blog title!)
Suck it up and Drive on....

April 25, 2008 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Bon said...

Well...it *was* looking like it was going to go well, wasn't it? Bleah.

Hoping for a change that will allow you to go and not miss the battalion change of command or have a problem with the school things.

I admire you if you can manage patience under the circumstances.

April 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nightmare! As if PCSing isn't bad enough, to add to the uncertainty really sucks!

I am unfamiliar with Army ways (Aim High-er) but wouldn't housing come with the job of battalion commander? That seems utterly unfair, and I hope things change and it works out for you (any relatives your spouse absolutely hates that you could go visit this summer?).

Good luck!
kirsten

April 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

Thanks for all the positive comments and words of encouragement! I am waiting to see what happens next week. We've been told though that they can amend the orders to make it concurrent travel. Apparently, battalion command does enable you to go to the top of the housing list, so it looks like it will work itself out...but still, you'd think we were the first people doing this the way the bureaucrats have been running this.

I'll be sure to share other moving stories in the hopes I could help someone else make their move easier...especially going overseas...I can imagine too how stressful it can be when you've never made such a long trip before (my good neighbor friend, who is non-military is just beside herself)!

If anyone here has any tips to share that might help others, please feel free to post them.

April 26, 2008 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger tootie said...

Hang in there! I'm sure it will all work out somehow.

April 28, 2008 at 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting things worked out. It always works out in the end, but the stress in getting there is a challenge. Hang in there.

May 3, 2008 at 10:54 AM  
Anonymous chris said...

Uggghh Same here..good to know I am not alone...even if it is a few years later...They say Housing is an issue...Family Travel has been finally approved for this location and now this..Non concurrent travel...Unreal!!! I am utterly frustrated!!! First it was due to EFMP which was a total joke for Schweinfurt not available when my son is getting NO Services... for services now we finally got approved for STuggart and now it is housing ..when i look on the RHn Housing sight they have some off post hoousing available...Perscom is no more so who do we contat to get this orrected.. I have 3 kids 1 that will be a Junior in HS and a 4th grader and a 7th grader...Especially with the HS I need to make sure transripts are done appropiately....PLEASE Help extremely frustrated..this has been going on since January 11...thanks!!

May 5, 2011 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger ****Veteran Military Wife at Life Lessons of a Military Wife**** said...

I am so sorry about that! Yes, coming overseas, there is always this trouble with housing and will there be some when you get over here! Has your DH talked to your sponsor? Are people getting housing right away in the unit? Are they immediately allowed to look off post? Is your DH an E-5 or below? Last summer, they changed the rules on Army posts (but not AF) that all E-5s and below WILL live on post, no exceptions, so I bet there is still turmoil of putting that into effect. New folks over that rank will be guided off post and those of higher ranks onpost, once they vacate, E-5s and below will occupy those quarters. I bet they will still have designated housing for "mission essential" people, regardless of rank..let me know what you find out in light of what I just said...

May 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home