This Page

has been moved to new address

This Place Could Save Your Life

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): This Place Could Save Your Life

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

This Place Could Save Your Life

I can't believe something as simple as this could save your life or your family's life. Does your family have an emergency action plan? If there were to be a fire in your house...right now, or in the middle of the night, do your young children...or even teenagers know exactly what to do? Have you discussed it? I am reminded of this because I just read about a father who ran back into his burning house to look for his young son, but the son had already crawled out the back and was in the backyard. The father perished looking for his son. Had he known he was out of the house, he never would've run back inside.

Every few months, I go over these things with my kids. You should too.

  • Know what to do when there is a fire or an emergency in the house.
  • Know how to call an emergency number and know that their first order of business is to get themselves out of the house...and then call from a neighbor's house. Since German windows open differently than in the States, I made sure our sons knew how to open them and not just tilt them....and they practice it til they were comfortable with that.
  • Establish a meeting place that is at least 50 feet from the house and somewhere out front. We all know to meet by a certain tree...and immediately. That way, everyone is quickly accounted for. Make sure your neighbors know where that is as well.
Those are the highlights. I'm sure every family is different in how they want to plan for an emergency. Just remember to be consistent and persistent in that the house must be vacated. Don't look for pets, as much as you love them, they are in God's hands and will hopefully follow you out. Don't waste valuable time trying to save "things" that can eventually be replaced for the most part. Your life cannot be replaced.

If you have any tips to share on what you do in your family, we'd love to hear them.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I've read about things like this in the newspaper too. Also make sure your kids memorize a phone number of a neighbor and a relative who is not in the area. When we had to leave the Phillipines, many years ago, our family got separated. We knew where our teenage daughter was because she had called our US relatives.

October 12, 2008 at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home