This Page

has been moved to new address

He Wore His School Pants to Soccer Practice Among Other Things

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): He Wore His School Pants to Soccer Practice Among Other Things

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He Wore His School Pants to Soccer Practice Among Other Things

This was the first day the kids were on their own after school. Since mommy works now, they had to get their homework done, get off to soccer practice and get their own dinner. Since I get home after the dinner hour, three nights a week, it is going to be a challenge with dinner, especially when hubby has his deployments and trips out of town. I thought it was okay.... once a week, the kids could eat what they wanted at the food court. I'm still getting used to the $7 slice of pizza, but really, we can afford once a week and the kids...I don't know why...always want to eat at the food court, so this way they'll get a little treat. Everything seemed to run smoothly at first.

The kids called me after they got home and dutifully gave me a report. When the time rolled around for soccer practice, I was lucky that my building was right by the field, so I was able to look out and see them show up 10 minutes early. Okay, so they can handle being on time for something. They then stopped by before walking over to the food court. Of course one was wearing his nice school pants and neither had a jacket or sweatshirt. I had to give them the lecture about being in Germany and how the weather could change from sun to snow in the blink of an eye.

I was patting myself on the back til I got home. I couldn't even open the door, as the backpacks had regurgitated everything in them and the mess was strewn all over the floor. My next stop the kitchen....well, I knew exactly what I had, cause all the burrito wrappers and cookie boxes were all over the counter and dishes were stacked up in the sink. The dog also came running with his food dish. Guess someone didn't get fed.

I didn't hear the kids, but I heard the Playstation. Our rule is no Playstation during the week and only for a certain amount of time on the weekends. They were both neck deep in the Playstation and I don't think they even heard me come in. They pretended this was okay. It was not.

After I asked to see homework, I found out it wasn't completed. The little one said he had printer issues. His teacher is high tech and puts all their homework and extra credit, not to mention some other things, all online. My 11 year old's teacher gives minimal homework, but he hadn't done his either. Some excuse about having a problem with one of the math word problems. So that precluded you from doing the whole thing, cause you were stuck on one question, right?

So now what? There are going to be three days a week I'll not be home. I keep telling myself they did just fine. They just have to get in a routine. Since I am a bit obsessive compulsive about things being in order, it got on my nerves to clean up after them...but then I keep telling myself, they are boys...as if that explains everything. Am I being too hard on them? Are your kids somewhat on their own? How do you do it?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

LOVE your blog! I am an Army wife in Hawaii. I work, too, but at home. However, I have noticed that even though I am at home, if I am not watching my kids closely, they take advantage of me not "being there"(i.e. involved on my computer or on a phone call). THey will litter the living room with toys or leave their snack dishes laying around (or worse yet, spilled!) I think it is them just being kids. Remind them gently to help Mom out because she's had a busy day, too. Ask them to help you clean up. That's what I do - I figure helping them do it is better than me doing it alone. Hang in there!! Your blog is great.

October 2, 2008 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger liberal army wife said...

OR - you can see if there is a responsible teenager/high schooler, who might want to earn a couple bucks "tutoring" the kids (this isn't, therefore, babysitting, in the strictest sense of the word and they "save face" with the other kids)

just a thought.

LAW

October 2, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home