This Page

has been moved to new address

Celebrating Those Life Moments in the Battalion - Babies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Celebrating Those Life Moments in the Battalion - Babies

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Celebrating Those Life Moments in the Battalion - Babies

I still don't have a perfect system. I think it's especially important, that as a commander's wife, I am recognizing the importance of a new member of our extended battalion family. These life moments only come once for each child, and you know, my husband never forgot it, that he was not there for the birth of our second son. In fact, it weighed so heavily on him, through his own choosing, as I did not want him to feel guilty, that he will try to move mountains to make sure the father is here in country when that baby is born....not always possible looking at mission requirements, but if it can be done....he's going to do it. My part, is celebrating that new baby in our lives.

At first, I had trouble with just plain old fashioned communication. I sometimes didn't get notified at all. Other times, I would get a telephone message or email...well after the fact...the last one was three months after the fact. Then, when I started getting the information in a fairly timely fashion, I didn't get the hospital information. I hate to waste people's time, including my own, so there I was loaded down with gifts and diapers...in the wrong hospital. Or, since I didn't get the right information, I am playing phone tag either with the parents or the FRG leader.

So, finally, I said...please, send me the birth information thru email only and please...tell me the name of the hospital. My goal is to visit the mom and baby while they are still in there. It makes it easier on me...I'm estimating about 20-25 babies a year...and easier on them, because they don't have to feel uncomfortable with me visiting them at home (I know they clean up for me and try to entertain me and that is not what I intended). I've been buying mostly diapers, wipes, a little toy and an outfit...and trying to keep it down to $25 or less...with a battalion of a few hundred people...you can guess how this can add up, so you have to keep costs down as this is coming out of my husband's and my paycheck. In our command class at Ft Leavenworth, we were warned that battalion command would be expensive....and it has been so far to an extent....but also very rewarding.

Now, our companies, do raise funds for their baby funds, and they typically also visit the new moms and babies bearing a custom printed onesies from Cafe Press, as well as food for the freezer and a cute thing called a diapercake. They recognize as well as I do what an important moment this is.

What does your unit do to honor those new babies?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

We have a small company. Usually they just gather money and buy diapers of all sizes and kinds (and provide a receipt so that brands not preferred CAN be returned and exchanged). My husband, the company commander, makes it a point to visit each family in the hospital. I try to accompany him (but doesn't always work due to sick kids and other functions that may interfere with going). I always make a hand-made hooded baby towel, a rag-tied blanket, and a knit cap for the new baby. We used to give a gift card, and while it may be handy, it didn't seem personal enough.

November 12, 2008 at 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home