This Page

has been moved to new address

Cut Your Cleaning Time In Half...More than Half

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!): Cut Your Cleaning Time In Half...More than Half

Life Lessons of a Military Wife (overseas in Europe!)

My goal here is to make your life easier, especially those who are in the unique situation of being a military spouse. Yes...I've been around...but in a good way...and hopefully can share those tips, tricks and shortcuts with you too. I've been on this military bus for over 40 years now. My goals in life are to have a well-run home, few money worries, well adjusted children, money socked away and whatever happiness I can scoop out of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

After life as an Army brat, being in the Army myself and marrying a soldier, I can honestly say I have a bucket full of life lessons I can share to help you make your everyday life easier and enlightening. Don't waste your time making unnecessary mistakes and benefit from others who have come before you on your journey through life.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Cut Your Cleaning Time In Half...More than Half

Have you ever gone in a store with tons of knick knacks or jewelry or little display items and wondered why it wasn't dusty in there? I know there are plenty of dusty stores...but some aren't and why is that?

It's because of the featherdusters. When I used to vacuum, I would take each of my knick knacks off the shelf or table or whatever surface, vacuum the item and then vacuum the surface and move on to the next piece or area. It's no wonder that it took me about three hours to vacuum my house. There had to be another way.

That's when I met my Swedish friend. She used to clean her house...it was bigger than ours...in half the time it took me to clean mine. Granted, she didn't have a lot of knick knacks....but, she did have a lot of surfaces! So what was I doing wrong? What was she doing that I wasn't doing?

It's because of the featherdusters. After the third time she told me this, I decided to get one...now, not just any one will do. It has to be a rather expensive, or what I deemed to be expensive when it comes to cleaning supplies...duster out of ostrich feathers. Something about the static electricity and holding power or something.

And one day, she showed me how to use it...in all of two minutes. Start at the top of the room and work your way around in concentric circles. Yes, there really are cobwebs in the corners of your rooms...you just didn't see them. As you get halfway around a room, lightly tap the edge of the duster handle on the edge of your shoe...down low, almost at floor level. The concept being...the dust will fall down to the carpet. After you dust that room, it gets vacuumed.

I take it one step further...which does take a little longer, but I don't care cause I like to see the dust fly...I take the fully loaded duster outside..making sure there isn't an open window or door...and beat the handle against the side of the house or my hand...then back inside and repeat. About once a month, I'll take furniture oil and shine up all the wood furniture, but other than that, the house at least looks dust free.

One of these days when we retire somewhere nice...I'm going to talk my husband into spending extra money on a whole house filter...can you imagine how much better the dust situation would be then? What do you do to keep your house dust free?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to have my house dust-free or at least dust reduced. We live in the city on a busy street and we have a kind of greasy dust. The windows are so bad in this apartment that the dust comes in whether the windows are open or not.
I've just given up dusting until we move.

November 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have just about given up my broom. I purchased a canister vacuum with a hard floor attachment. It works so much better at picking up pet hair, dust bunnies, etc. I still have the broom for some jobs - broken glass, for example - but I rarely use it. The vacuum also has various attachments for furniture and curtains. I also vacuum ceiling fans, light shades, blinds, etc... I could go on and on about the merits of a good vacuum cleaner!

November 17, 2008 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger D2M said...

For us it's pollen, not just dust. We have no AC during the spring and summer, so almost all the windows have to be open, with about 8 fans to get air moving. (And we have a small house, less than 890sq ft!) We live right behind a bunch of cheery blossoms.... those suckers got a lot of pollen! Not to mention every other blooming plant in Japan. (Seriously, Japan is a flowery country! Never seen so many things with flowers on them!) So pollen.. every where.. ugh... spring would be so much better if I didn't have to leave every single window open all day long... lol....

March 27, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home